General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

countersteering help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that you know what it is it's easy to overdo it. You've probably been doing it since getting on a bike. Practice is going to help you recognize how much input the bike needs to get around. Just keep it smooth for everyday riding and if you find yourself in a jam then you know how to get out of it with a little extra push.

Now go read up on target fixation and you'll have something else that'll improve your skills.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Counter steering happens without even knowing it on most gradual turns. The technique can also be used more aggressively while in a turn or going straight when you need to avoid an obstacle or make a fast lane change. By pushing on the handle bar that you want the moto to go in will make it dip and turn in that direction. If you practice during regular riding it will become second nature when needed.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,153 Likes on 12,213 Posts

Counter steering basically tricks you into leaning your bike and negotiating the turn properly. In a left turn you "pressure" the left bar forward. This causes the bike to (very) momentarily turn right. Centrifugal force causes the bike to lean left. Your brain immediately tells you to follow suit and steer left. At this point the bike is leaning left and you are actually steering left - very slightly. It is done the moment before turning and it disappears immediately once you are "engaged" in the turn. It is not done through the turn. Some may think that's what they are doing, but rest assured, they are not. Also, you can corner without counter steering by simply weighting and turning, but it actually takes more thought. Counter steering forces you to do it right, and once it becomes second nature, makes cornering more intuitive.

Here's a nice explanation (just click on the videos) -

http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcyc...rsteering.html

Last edited by nevada72; 05-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A flat track racer does the same thing,,only he takes it to the extreme,,,,LOL,,,it's easy,,turn right to turn left,,,easy does it though,,,by turning right the bike will lean left,,,,it really takes the work out of riding once you perfect it,,,

Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Counter steering basically tricks you into leaning your bike and negotiating the turn properly. In a left turn you "pressure" the left bar forward. This causes the bike to (very) momentarily turn right. Centrifugal force causes the bike to lean left. Your brain immediately tells you to follow suit and steer left. At this point the bike is leaning left and you are actually steering left - very slightly. It is done the moment before turning and it disappears immediately once you are "engaged" in the turn. It is not done through the turn. Some may think that's what they are doing, but rest assured, they are not. Also, you can corner without counter steering by simply weighting and turning, but it actually takes more thought. Counter steering forces you to do it right, and once it becomes second nature, makes cornering more intuitive.
I disagree. I apply pressure, it leans the bike, and I hold the pressure until it's time to come out of the turn. At no point do I turn the wheel left on a left turn, and it doesn't turn left through any brain trick. It goes left because it leans the bike for as long as I hold it.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

And I watched the videos. In parking lot maneuvers, it's used to start a turn. In a sweeper on the highway, you maintain the pressure.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Burnouts and hard riding on dirt roads gets the tail wagging you need to countersteer to keep the bike going straight ahead.Also never let up on the throttle if things get out of hand until the bike is tracking straight.You do the rear tire grabs traction and off the bike you go.No matter it takes practice and above all the willingness to do it.Once you master it you will be a lot more confident in those situations.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

You are all saying the same thing, just in different ways.
Counter-steer is just that. If you want to go right in a hurry turn the handlebars left and to go left turn the bars right. You can say push the bars or pull the bars its the same thing.
When connering just look to where you want to exit. Lean in to the corner and you will exit there, where you are looking.
Counter- steering can and will save your life.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,153 Likes on 12,213 Posts

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I disagree. I apply pressure, it leans the bike, and I hold the pressure until it's time to come out of the turn. At no point do I turn the wheel left on a left turn, and it doesn't turn left through any brain trick. It goes left because it leans the bike for as long as I hold it.

By itself, leaning the bike does not make it turn. That is simply done to counteract centrifugal force. Turning the wheel in the direction of the turn makes a bike turn.

If one were to project imaginary lines (for each tire) from above the rider to indicate the orientation of the tires relative to the arc of the turn, the rear tire would be at a tangent to the arc, so on it's own, it would exit the arc. The front tire would be facing left, albeit slightly, and following the arc.

If I understand you correctly, in your scenario, the front tire's line would be facing even more away from the arc than the rear tire. I promise you, if you are in a left turn and leaning left, and then pressure the left bar, you will have a very bad day

Counter steer to initiate, then steer. Simple.

This guy -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_L._Hough

has literally written the book(s) on this, and many related topics. My statements are based on his teachings and do not originate from me. That said, as they say, he has forgotten more about motorcycle safety and riding than I will ever know.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-15-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
By itself, leaning the bike does not make it turn. That is simply done to counteract centrifugal force. Turning the wheel in the direction of the turn makes a bike turn.

If one were to project imaginary lines (for each tire) from above the rider to indicate the orientation of the tires relative to the arc of the turn, the rear tire would be at a tangent to the arc, so on it's own, it would exit the arc. The front tire would be facing left, albeit slightly, and following the arc.

If I understand you correctly, in your scenario, the front tire's line would be facing even more away from the arc than the rear tire. I promise you, if you are in a left turn and leaning left, and then pressure the left bar, you will have a very bad day
I know what I do every day and I know what works. I think you're a Google scholar and spend more time reading what others have written than you do on your bike. Push left and it goes left until you stop pushing.

Quick Reply: countersteering help