General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

countersteering help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sctrooper
Ok so I have read every page on countersteering on this forum and I am still confused about the concept. I definitely do not doubt it because I tried it last night...deliberately at least. When I tried it just a little bit I found that my bike turned REAL quick so what I need help with is how much pressure do you apply to the handlebars? Also do you need to apply pressure throughout the entire turn or do you just do it to initiate your turns. Kind of crazy I have been riding for a little while and nobody has ever mentioned the term countersteering. I am sure learing how to perfect will be an invaluable lesson so thanks in advance for your responses.
Buy a twist of the wrist by Keith code and read it. It will clear things up.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
You are probably already doing it and not realizing it.
Unquestionably true. It's not possible to ride a heavy bike without countersteering at speeds over 20 mph. If you ride dirt bikes or other lightweight bikes you can throw them around with your weight, but that will not work with an 800 pound bike.

Understanding how countersteering works will make you a better and smoother rider, but if you've been riding for any period of time you are certainly already doing it.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It is now very clear why far too many HD riders crash on curves at highway speed. Counter steering seems to be out of their range of understanding.

Push on a foot peg, lean your body or push left to turn left. My god how do these people even get back home in one piece?
Yup. I am absolutely shocked by some of the comments in this thread.

If you have not or cannot master counter steering... please, stay off the road. The life you save may be mine.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really, cannot believe this thread is still on. the reason the bike is turning is no different to how a bicycle turn.
starting from: straight position, moving fwd
Right turn: even when you throw your weight on the right side, without even realizing it the handlebar is tilt first to left, then immediately the centrifugal force pushes the weight of bike+rider to the right and then the handlebar has to slightly be turned to the right to create the centrifugal force in the opposite direction to counterbalance the weight of bike+rider that would otherwise fall down to the right. the opposite is true for left turn.
If from a straight position you tilt the handlebar right, the centrifugal force pushes you to the left, now you have to do the opposite and tilt handlebar to left to generate centrifugal force to the right to avoid falling to the left: at this moment the bike is tilted left, the weight is pushing the bike left as it's tilted, the handlebar is slightly turned left generating force to right to counterbalance the weight. as an effect the bike turns left.

I wouldn't worry about any of this as if you can ride just a bicycle you are already doing instinctively without thinking.