General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American made Leathers and boots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
DMacLeod
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make my living in work boots and will only wear American made. Red Wing(not irish setter or worx),White's and Chipewwa (some are made in china, but not the ones in my closet)

As far as jackets, my HD leather is made in USA but probably 15 years old.
Schott and Fox Creek both make great products. (made in USA)

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

One more vote for Fox Creek Leather jackets, vests, and chaps, I haven't laid eyes on thicker, softer leather in any product I've ever come across. I own 2 jackets, 4 vests, and a pair of chaps from them, and they've gotten hard use for 6 or 7 years - still going strong. Some black dye did wash out of the jacket somewhat last summer, riding through a series of heavy rainstorms on one trip, but it left the jacket looking somewhat "weathered" and salty and didn't impact the feel or performance at all.

I also wear Chippewa boots. They're well made, nearly waterproof, (and have gone down in them - neither the boots nor the Fox Creek jacket were badly damaged.)

I'm sure there are other good options, but Fox Creek and Chippewa offer top rate products.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe no one mentioned Double H boots yet. Still made in America and affordable. My Double H engineer boots are very comfortable.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
RLJ676
Cruiser

I've got Double H and Red Wing boots, both made here and I like them both.

I have a Fox Creek jacket, very soft leather and a fair price for American made.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Blackbobber
Cruiser

Well I ended up with a pair of black redwings made in AMERICA. Now the search is on for a U.S made leather. Thanks for all the input. I will look again at the dealer to see if there are any U.S made leathers.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

you probably won't find any. if your dealer is anything like mine, of all the jackets on the motorclothes website, only about 5 different styles are even available for sale at my local dealers (one is 60 miles away, the other is about 80, then 120). and of course it isn't any of the ones that i would even be interested in.

i also went back and searched through the leather jackets, apparently the one(s) that they sold previously that were made in usa are not available anymore. either that or they don't word it as such in the ad. maybe the 'buy usa' crowd didn't support them enough so it wasn't profitable for them to have that particular jacket made?

good luck in your quest.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fdixon
Well I ended up with a pair of black redwings made in AMERICA. Now the search is on for a U.S made leather. Thanks for all the input. I will look again at the dealer to see if there are any U.S made leathers.
They don't sell many US made jackets at a Harley dealership and the ones they have are overpriced and not that great. You're looking on the wrong place for jackets. Like people here say, try Schott or Fox Creek or Vanson.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
gd55
Cruiser

+1 on Fox Creek

Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Fox Creek for my jacket and Carolina for the boots. Both have been good investments as far as fit and durability.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

I'm one that tries to always buy American Made first, I own a traditional motorcycle jacket, a pair of chaps, and 2 vests from H-D, one vest was made in China, all others carry a "Made in the USA" label....

I have a high instep, and finding boots that I can get my feet into...(and out of)....is very difficult. I've shopped hard to find a pair of American made engineer boots, and I tried a few, but I couldn't get my feet into any of them. Finally found a pair that worked for me, they are H-D brand boots, and unfortunately they are made in China. I'm not happy about their country of origin, but they are the most comfortable boot I've been able to find that my feet will slide into, and out of without undue difficulty....

Also with both Redwing and Carolina, most of their products are now imported, but both companies do still offer some products that are made in America....

Quick Reply: American made Leathers and boots?