General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heritage Classic or Road King

Hey folks, need some opinions. Stopped in at the local shop today, and sat on a Heritage Classic. Loved it. I also have always liked Road Kings. I currently have an 07 Dyna Superglide. I also love it. Just for fun, I did an app to see if I could even do a new bike. No problem. Since the two are nearly identical in price, I just wanted some opinions/observations or impressions about/between the two. I have never ridden either bike. My friend has a RK, and a few others have Classics. Each think theirs is the best.

Appreciate it.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

I think anyone would tell you that the RK has superior suspension, and that's right. It's as good as Harley frames and suspension get.

Out of the two, I like the HSC. I just like that motorcycle. Less suspension, but a fine looking bike. Why are you getting out of the Dyna?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:44 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Softail (heritage) has no vibration at idle or slow speeds, RK does. Also, the front end of the RK has a bulky, heavy feel. To me, it feels less maneuverable. The only plus I give to the RK is a "slightly" smoother ride at highway speeds. You also feel "in" the bike on a softail vs. "on" the RKs. Overall, I didn't feel as safe on the RK, preferred the softail ride and feel, plus I don't like the look of the RK as well.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Mad Dog 60
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seat height is different the heritage is lower. I'm 6'' 4'' and love the ride on the heritage. Have sat on but not rode the Road King. I did feel that on a heritage I was sitting "in" the bike instead of "on" it.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I think anyone would tell you that the RK has superior suspension, and that's right. It's as good as Harley frames and suspension get.

Out of the two, I like the HSC. I just like that motorcycle. Less suspension, but a fine looking bike. Why are you getting out of the Dyna?
I actually love the Dyna, and believe at this time I will be keeping it. We have been doing lots of longer distance 2up riding, and thought maybe it might be more comfortable aboard something a little more...comfortable. My wife has an 07 883L, which we are keeping. She rides it when we plan a ride that is under 200 miles. Otherwise, she rides with me on the FXD.

I was in the shop today, sat on the bike, and you can imagine the rest.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Until I tried my RK I always thought I wanted a heritage. Would not trade this for anything, I know I'll get flamed but I think it is the best the MOCO has.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
I actually love the Dyna, and believe at this time I will be keeping it. We have been doing lots of longer distance 2up riding, and thought maybe it might be more comfortable aboard something a little more...comfortable. My wife has an 07 883L, which we are keeping. She rides it when we plan a ride that is under 200 miles. Otherwise, she rides with me on the FXD.

I was in the shop today, sat on the bike, and you can imagine the rest.
I went through this about a year ago. I went and test rode a Heritage, fell in love with it, and decided to go home and sleep on it. On the way home I realized how happy I was with the Super Glide. I've got it equipped like I want at this point, I have built a lot of memories with it, and it does great two up. It's like a member of the family and I think I'll keep it and see how many miles I can wring out of it. Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If I could have a third bike it would be a RK
there is a fourth and fifth bikes too

Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I went through this about a year ago. I went and test rode a Heritage, fell in love with it, and decided to go home and sleep on it. On the way home I realized how happy I was with the Super Glide. I've got it equipped like I want at this point, I have built a lot of memories with it, and it does great two up. It's like a member of the family and I think I'll keep it and see how many miles I can wring out of it. Good luck with your decision.
I am right there with you man. I have the right seat, SB bars, the right sound, and frankly, it does great as a two-up ride. I also lost 90 lbs in the past two years, so it is a lot roomier than it was when I first got it. I think things are becoming more clear. Not 100% decided yet, but I am not sold on having a payment. Told the guy I'd be back Tuesday. I will go back, just not sure what I will do yet.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,821 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Great all around bike is the Heritage. Best handling, 2 up machine is the RK. Only time I don't care for the Softail is when I'm carrying a passenger.

(There's a reason one is in the Touring class and the other isn't.)

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic or Road King