General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Road King Classic.... for the looks and the ride. Ask my wife. She picked it out for me.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can answer any slow speed handling questions by watching ANY motorcycle cop rodeo!! the big Kings can do slow amazeingly well. hell the big Ultras do slow with style and grace if you got the skill.
its so funny to hear guys talk about handling when most of these bikes are lowered to where they can not do super tight turns cause they scrape so much. I can do figure 8s in the 16ft square with my Ultra and the lowered RKs or lowered HSCs are scrapein hard. so handling is kinda subjective to how your bike will be set up.
and the Road King was built way back when there was almost NO interstates.. they were hiway machines 2lane hiway machines. the Ultra was really the bike designed for the slabs and the Road Glide was really the superslab machine.
and yea you can run long miles on either, heck my wife went coast 2 coast 3 times on my sportster. so either CAN do the miles but the King is alot nicer ride and day after day of long miles will roll easier on the king. .
as for looks. the HSC has that wonderful classic 40s/50s look and the RK has that great classic 50s/60s look.
what I usually tell guys about this question is get the HSC. that way in 4 or 5 yrs yu will know WHY you want the RK or the ULTRA.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
USAFGopherMike
Advanced

Going to ride two up? Get the RK.

Ultimately, if you can't decide, ride your bike to the stealer, test ride both bikes back to back, then ride your bike home. Sleep on it, make a decision the next day.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thing about this discussion is if you buy what we say and you don't like it you can always blame us for the mistake.

I've had a 99 and now an 07 Heritage. I like it for short or long rides. I've ridden a couple Road Kings and didn't like the feel. But that's just me, not you.

My advice is to go to the dealer with your wife and rent each one for a day. Then both of you take some time to discuss your likes and dislikes.

Good hunting.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

This neck of the woods you can rent a Harley for $100 a day. Go rent each one for 1/2 a day, four hrs on each should help you make your decision. I almost went with the Ultra, then rented a Heritage, fell in love with the looks and leathers.
I will get an Ultra this fall. You really need to ride both, take the boss lady with you and have some fun.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Both are great bikes. I'd probably lean toward the RK if it was me.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM
markaria
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Here's my take:

Road King has better suspension? Don't care.
RK has anti-lock brakes? Don't care.
RK has a slightly smoother engine at speed? Don't care.
RK has cruise control? Don't care.

If I cared about that stuff, I'd still be riding a BMW RT, with over 100 hp stock, saddlebags galore, the ability to cruise at 90 mph all day long, and canyon performance to match most sport bikes. But I don't ride a BMW, and you know why I don't? Right. Because I don't care about that crap.

For me, it isn't about how the bike feels; it's about how the bike makes me feel. How I feel when I look at it. How I feel when I sit on it. How I feel when I'm cruising down the highway. My HSC makes me feel the way I want to feel when I'm riding, or wrenching, or polishing. I don't give a tinker's damn about how efficient the bike is, or how comfy my passenger is, or whether it has air suspension or a freakin' stereo. All I care about is how the bike makes me feel. If your bike makes you feel right -- if you really connect with it on an emotional level -- you'll ride it to the ends of the earth with a smile on your face. If it doesn't, all that smoothness and that efficiency will sit in the garage while you make weak excuses not to ride.

That's my story -- and that's my HSC -- and I'm stickin' to it.
Well put...and love your HSC colors/look! (same as my EGC)! To each their own!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM
VTK
Road Master

Buying my Heritage was the best purchase I've made. Even though I've only ridden her for a year next Month I haven't been on anything quite like it. After a few personal cosmetic changes I am totally satisfied. You should maybe find a place that will rent one and give her a go.