General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roadking2000 and cogener8's comments are on the mark.

Thirty years of riding and got my first harley in 98, a Sportster. In 2000, the first year of the B motor I got a heritage. That was in the days when you had to order a bike six months in advance. A guy walked from his deposit and I got the Heritage because I happened to be standing in the shop. Nothing else was available.. I found what I thought was the perfect bike and drove it about 20,000 miles, around town and several longer trips. In 2005 I had kids in high school and sold the bike cause I did not have time to ride with all their activities.

Fast forward to 2010, the kids are our of college so it was time to ride again. I went into the dealership and did not even look at another bike, I bought a 2010 Heritage, after all it was the perfect bike. Six months later I rode a friends Road King. Bad mistake cause I had to have one. So, I now have a 2011 Road King. Having had both, my take on the differences are:

1. Yeah, a little vibration at idle, but I like it. Makes you remember why you bought a Harley. Big American Iron underneath you. At 1500 rpm, it is smoother than a sewing maching.

2. Highway ride. Wow, wow and wow. Smooth, tracks beautifuly and rides like a dream.

3. Twisty's and around town. IMHO it handles better than the heritage. Probably due to the weight distribution and different rake and trail. So, anyone that says a RKC does not handle like a softail is full of baloney in my opinion.

4. Ride in the bike vs ride on the bike. Very true with the stock seat. I sent my seat to Mean City and had it adjusted to my specs (5'8" tall with 29" inseam and 180 lbs). Guess what, now I ride "in" the Road King. Plus a quick handle bar change and a set of highway pegs and its like riding my favorite recliner down the road.

5. Extras included in the RKC. Cruise, abs, bigger motor, detachable bags, air shocks.

So, others opinions may vary and I respect that. That's why they have different models. All I can tell you is I now thing the RKC is the perfect bike. Great ride andhandling, classic looks and lots of options. And this comes from an old biker who said he would never own anything but a Heritage.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been wanting a RKC bad for a long time , especially now with the bigger engine but hate to part with my 06 Heritage , been a good bike and has taken me all over the mountains in Tn. and in Eureka Springs Ar. but at the end of each riding day myself and my riding partner both know that it was not a comfortable ride . Just that the Heritage has given me so many good memoried and times it`s hard to part with it , but when I get off work next week I think I am going looking for a new bike , lots of good info. and opinions on this forum , it`s called experience . Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bulkman:

I was the same way. I loved the looks of Heritage and it was my first "big Harley" so when I sold it there was a tear in my eye. A new RKC will get you over that hump in a hurry. Still has the classic looks of an old hydraglide but rides like the modern piece of machinery it is. Mine is two tone root beer (also coming from a guy who thought HD should only do two colors, black and black) and it is stunning in the sunlight. Ride one, your mileage may vary.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default #1 & #2

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 60
Seat height is different the heritage is lower. I'm 6'' 4'' and love the ride on the heritage. Have sat on but not rode the Road King. I did feel that on a heritage I was sitting "in" the bike instead of "on" it.
My # 2 choice was the Heritage Classic but I opted for the Road King. I probably "fit" better on the Heritage (higher bars, better seat fit) but I bought the Road King and ended up changing the bars and seat. I was stepping up from a Sporty and the wife REALLY wanted a smoother ride. For doing miles on the open roads it really doesn't get much better than the touring frames - IMHO.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Idaho Spud , you even picked out the color I like , I saw one at a dealership in Ms. and have been having trouble getting that bike out of my mind , beautiful color combination ,

Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a RK and loved it. I have a HC and I love it. Here is my take on the two from a riders standpoint:

Riding in city (slow, 35MPH or less, stoplights) - I prefer the HC

Riding out of the city (up to around 65 MPH) - No preference between HC/RK

Riding interstates (75-80 MPH) - Edge RK

I was never bothered with vibration on the rubber mount RK in town, and I have not experienced excessive vibration/buzzing with the HC at high speeds.

For the passenger:

My wife was more comfortable as a passenger on the RK outside of the city at higher speeds as the passenger sits higher on the HC and on the RK you block more of the passengers wind. Around town she likes getting more air on the HC.

Neither the RK or HC are "nimble" or what I would consider to be "quick".

My take is that the HC is a versatile bike that does good job as an in town cruiser or short range/day tourer.

The RK loves long rides with a passenger.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:32 AM
kb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK or HSC

I have owned both. If all options were the same I prefer the Softail. Ride both and buy what fits you the best. Both are a nice ride.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
I have been wanting a RKC bad for a long time , especially now with the bigger engine but hate to part with my 06 Heritage , been a good bike and has taken me all over the mountains in Tn. and in Eureka Springs Ar. but at the end of each riding day myself and my riding partner both know that it was not a comfortable ride . Just that the Heritage has given me so many good memoried and times it`s hard to part with it , but when I get off work next week I think I am going looking for a new bike , lots of good info. and opinions on this forum , it`s called experience . Thanks
Maybe there's omething you could do with your seat to make the ride better for both of you.

It's a real nice bike you have.....and there are alot of options to get comfort.

You might also think about an air ride suspension for the rear.

Your bike is in a different league...you have an EVO motor....love those engines.

~Joe

Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Please guys...don't get the idea that a touring bike is only for the highway....I ride my Streetglide everywhere....it's nimble and easy to throw around....the Streetglide can do it all.

~Joe

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
My friend has a RK, and a few others have Classics. Each think theirs is the best.
There's your answer.

But since you asked...ROAD KING!

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic or Road King