General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Whatever floats your boat. The touring bikes are a lot heavier than the Softails. Personally my '07 Fat Boy with a Mustang seat with a backrest installed is a wonderful putt on the freeways. The Road King is a sweet bike but man it is a ton around town and I've never been a fan of that frame.

You'll find lots of opinions here based on experience but the only experience that matters is yours. One thing to remember is that the touring bikes are carrying a lot more weight higher up with pretty much the same engine. You can split the difference between a 96 and a103 but you will need to add stonk to any tourer to match a stock Softy...
I don't think you have a clue, except there is a night an day difference between a softtail and touring bike.

Street Glide and Road King probably have a lower center of gravity of any bike. Don't confuse lower seat height that the deluxe has.

The are balanced and nimble as a sportster. The frame, swing are and rear tire makes a well balanced all around bike. Mountain riding or freeway the King can take all.

Last edited by leicafish; 05-14-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Here's my take:

Road King has better suspension? Don't care.
RK has anti-lock brakes? Don't care.
RK has a slightly smoother engine at speed? Don't care.
RK has cruise control? Don't care.

If I cared about that stuff, I'd still be riding a BMW RT, with over 100 hp stock, saddlebags galore, the ability to cruise at 90 mph all day long, and canyon performance to match most sport bikes. But I don't ride a BMW, and you know why I don't? Right. Because I don't care about that crap.

For me, it isn't about how the bike feels; it's about how the bike makes me feel. How I feel when I look at it. How I feel when I sit on it. How I feel when I'm cruising down the highway. My HSC makes me feel the way I want to feel when I'm riding, or wrenching, or polishing. I don't give a tinker's damn about how efficient the bike is, or how comfy my passenger is, or whether it has air suspension or a freakin' stereo. All I care about is how the bike makes me feel. If your bike makes you feel right -- if you really connect with it on an emotional level -- you'll ride it to the ends of the earth with a smile on your face. If it doesn't, all that smoothness and that efficiency will sit in the garage while you make weak excuses not to ride.

That's my story -- and that's my HSC -- and I'm stickin' to it.
Well said. I have a BMW 1150RT and a Heritage Softail Classic so I know of where I speak. Last year I put 14K+ on the Heritage and a bit less than 2K on the BMW.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Bmw??

Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm partial to the Heritage. Wanted one for a long time and very happy I finally have it in my garage.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I dunno, maybe it's my size ( 5-10--170 ) but i thought the difference between the RK and the Heritage was HUGE. Totally different bikes. I sat on a RK and gave it a test drive as well as the Heritage when I was shopping for a new bike last summer. The Rk was not nearly as comfortable as the Heritage, both sitting on and riding. No comparison, at least in my book.

I went with the Heritage and could not be happier.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

"I don't think you have a clue, etc etc etc..."

Hey liecafish i think I do have a clue. And you can stick your rudeness where the sun don't shine. And if you think a RG os SG are "as nimble as a Sportster," then you are either a major lardass or you've ridden some pretty bad Sportys...

Again, it is whatever floats your boat. I like Softails, got two in the garage next to the Hayabusa. I've ridden the touring frame and it leaves me cold. But if you like it, fine. Makes the world go around and etc...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
"I don't think you have a clue, etc etc etc..."

Hey liecafish i think I do have a clue. And you can stick your rudeness where the sun don't shine. And if you think a RG os SG are "as nimble as a Sportster," then you are either a major lardass or you've ridden some pretty bad Sportys...

Again, it is whatever floats your boat. I like Softails, got two in the garage next to the Hayabusa. I've ridden the touring frame and it leaves me cold. But if you like it, fine. Makes the world go around and etc...
As always rumpled tail feathers, so clueless what relavance does two softails next to a busa have with this post. Yadi Yadi Yadi Blah Blah Blah. Other than stay away from the steroids and testoterone.

I ride the touring where as you have ridden or tested. There is difference and your comparison is lacking. Plus the softail motor suck

Last edited by leicafish; 05-14-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Road Kings are awesome long distance machines and are great on the super slab. If thats what you want in a motorcycle, buy the Road King. If you don't want a bike whose primary purpose is the highway, buy the Softail.
This is the most sound rationale for both bikes. Dead right on both bikes.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My Bagger feels pretty nimble to me.

Whatever. It works for me.

~Joe

Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 AM
babybear
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents is I have the 2009 FLSTC and love it. In two years I put over 34,000 miles on my bike and loves the way it handles both on the back roads and highways. It is your choice, but I would suggest that you and your partner both test ride both bikes. As a wife who used to ride two up, her ride experience will help you decide which one. Not all bikes ride the same two up and if you are doing 500 miles two up, you will want to get the one that the both of you find to be the most comfortable. You never know, she must just want the Heritage for herself..

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic or Road King