General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
axel black
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing not pointed out yet is that these two models have very different motors and very different frames and types of suspension. This could last for ever if you want it to because to each his own. I tell newbies that a used hertage is a great buy because the seat is sooo low that you ride into the bike not on it like others have said. That alone will inspire confidence and the newbie will ride many miles, all the time taking the B motor with its smooth engine planted solid in the frame. I know of seasoned riders that that have done godzilla mile weekends on this bike. The RK is like a stripped down ultra. I own a ultra and I love it for two up long distance. It has a rubber mounted motor and sits you on top the motor that isnt anywhere as smoothe as that B motor. The MOCO is ten years behind offering the B motor solid mounted in the frame. Just come down a 20 mile downhill mountain pass on one of these rubber ducky mounted motors to frame and you know that OOOOh my god
I can here it these bikes arent meant for that PLS slow down its just a geezzzzer glide.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 PM
dfndr
Road Master

I know this would cost some now money, but...would a HSC with Shotgun air suspension be the best of all worlds?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
I am right there with you man. I have the right seat, SB bars, the right sound, and frankly, it does great as a two-up ride. I also lost 90 lbs in the past two years, so it is a lot roomier than it was when I first got it. I think things are becoming more clear. Not 100% decided yet, but I am not sold on having a payment. Told the guy I'd be back Tuesday. I will go back, just not sure what I will do yet.

I think the salesman has hard feelings about the whole thing. He was certain he had a sale. Tossed me the keys and let me ride it as much as I wanted. He was shocked when I walked away. Every time I see him, he asks how my Super Glide is doing. I tell him I like it more every day, and it's the truth.

Funny thing is, I almost bought a Street Glide before I got the FXD. I test rode the Street Glide and liked it a lot, but decided to see what else HD had to offer. When I rode the Super Glide I was hooked. I loved the ride, and the price made it even better.

They make it so easy to buy a new bike that it's easy to walk in there and make an impulse buy. You're wise to think it over. If you get the new bike, and you've thought it through, you won't have buyers remorse.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I think the salesman has hard feelings about the whole thing. He was certain he had a sale. Tossed me the keys and let me ride it as much as I wanted. He was shocked when I walked away. Every time I see him, he asks how my Super Glide is doing. I tell him I like it more every day, and it's the truth.

Funny thing is, I almost bought a Street Glide before I got the FXD. I test rode the Street Glide and liked it a lot, but decided to see what else HD had to offer. When I rode the Super Glide I was hooked. I loved the ride, and the price made it even better.

They make it so easy to buy a new bike that it's easy to walk in there and make an impulse buy. You're wise to think it over. If you get the new bike, and you've thought it through, you won't have buyers remorse.
It is tough for sure. I love the look of the HC and the RK, even though they are not that similar. The FXD has been a flawless bike so far. I will honestly think it over before I go back. And you are right, they make it real easy to get one these days.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I've got a Dyna and a RKC. My bike of preference is the RKC. The Heritage does not come close to the comfort, 2 up or solo, of the RK. Softail guys will mention the vibration at idle like that's a big deal. How much time do you spend idling, and when you do, do you really think a little vibration is going to bother you all that much? Softail guys will also mention that they think the softy looks better. Very subjective, but ask yourself if you look at your bike or ride your bike because when you throw a leg over and actually go down the road, the RK is a much better ride. When I got the RKC I could have just as easily bought myself a Heritage. I didn't, and I'm glad I got what I got. I have absolutely nothing against any softail, but if you really compare any of them to any touring bike, the ONLY place they may come out ahead is in the subjective looks department. Your Dyna probably has a better ride than a softy. I know mine does.

VET767, you'll get no flames from me. I think the RK is the best all around bike Harley makes. It's good for touring. It's good around town. Heck, it's good for everything.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
DirtyPak
6th Gear

Bottom line there is really no wrong decision, they're all great bikes. Important thing is what feels right for you. I rented a Dynaglide, Softail Classic and a Road King on separate weekends. Put about 1,000 miles on each of them. Once I got on that air ride suspension, no turning back for me. That's what I would suggest, find a dealership that has rentals. Go for a weekend ride, not just a test ride around the block. Do some city and some highway miles on each. I think you'll have your own answer when done.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

King, King, King, nuf said.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The Dyna is the the best bike Harley makes. That said if you are moving from a Dyna the RK is the a very good choice. That is what I use for twisties and my daily driver in So Cal freeway traffic.

Best of everything, the King.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic or Road King-rk4.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RK. There is no other choice!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented for a day before i made my decision, and they both are great bikes but i chose the Heritage and have loved every mile on it. Long trips or around the block it performs great. But that is why they make all styles for diffrent folks.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic or Road King