General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Freeway Ride - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachbro
Thanks so much for those responses. I'm the OP and it went very well - your tips were right on.

I was surprised at how much wind resistance there was at speed. Also felt that my denim jeans are not enough protection (and not warm enough). Now I'm curious about what I should be wearing - kevlar jeans? Chaps? Something else?
I too was nervous the first time riding on the highway but now with 40,000 miles under my belt, I prefer and enjoy riding on the highway much better than riding on the local streets. Like others have said their are less opportunities for cagers to make a mistake and put you in jeopardy. If they are in a straight line its easier to anticipate their moves. There also seems to be less animals like deer and dogs. The wind resistance is a little to get used to, but once you get used to it, its not that bad.

As for keeping warmer, I bought a pair of chaps. I don't necessarily like the look but they function well. They keep me warm and offer great protection. Also when I get off the bike it takes me all of 30 seconds to take them off. The long johns don't seem to keep me as warm on the bike and they can get warm when I get indoors. I would prefer a pair of leather pants that would fit over my jeans so next time I see a good deal, I'm buying a pair.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
los
Advanced

Stay away from cement trucks, they're always dropping bits of stone, gravel and such.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,847 Likes on 973 Posts

As a brand new rider I've got 150 local miles experience and I love riding. In So Cal I've been mostly on boulevards and back streets.
The number one most important thing while riding a motorcycle anywhere is situational awareness. If you're not paying attention to your surroundings, and scanning the freeway ahead of you 1/4 to 1/2 mile, you're already behind the eight ball.

If there's any way that a cage can cut you off by changing lanes at the last second, fully expect them to do just that. Always try to set yourself up with an escape lane or direction in case you have to execute a high speed evasive maneuver. Car drivers almost never look over their shoulder when changing lanes on the freeway. I see it every single day. What's the number one thing that a cager says right after he creams some guy on a motorcycle? "I didn't see him."

When people here on the forum talk about being in a car's blind spot, I chuckle to myself. You're always in their blind spot. If you always ride like you are, and expect them to do the dumbest thing at the worst possible time, you increase your odds of avoiding a run in with a cager 100 times.

Good luck to you, and let us know how your first freeway ride goes.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks so much for those responses. I'm the OP and it went very well - your tips were right on.

I was surprised at how much wind resistance there was at speed. Also felt that my denim jeans are not enough protection (and not warm enough). Now I'm curious about what I should be wearing - kevlar jeans? Chaps? Something else?
Great to hear and I hope you have many more.

I personally use a wind shield and touring lowers, at freeway speeds you are constantly getting your wazoo kicked

Relative to your pants, I wear leather langlitz pants for todays ride up to Idlywild(rain most of the way wayfrom the OC), wrangler rodeo jeans and wrangler thermalite line jeans in really cold weather. A point to remember is wear clothse that fit and a good belt in the event you slide everything stays on and does not roll or bunch up.

Take care and practice.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spot on advice from everybody. I think this thread should be a 'sticky'.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 533 Posts

You're right about denim jeans not being much protection. There are a few brands of riding-specific reinforced jeans, Kevlar and others. Leather pants are better than leather chaps(the much maligned "assless chaps" you read so much about here). But chaps are a lot more convenient. A one-piece racing suit with armored joints at the knees/elbows/shoulders gives the most protection available, but is way more than most of us wanna bother with. Try everything, then figure out what works for you.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
never say never
Tourer

dont ride behind semis and if you get stuck behind one back off the throttle and make yourself a cushion you can manuver in in case he throws a recap,and take a look at the trailer tires they always start to smoke before the come flying off the tire,and for god sake dont hang in anyones blind spot,pass quickly and reabstalish a comfort zone that you can manuver in.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out for oily pavement at toll booths.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 with vigilance. It is just a road and you are just on a motorcycle.
Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Relax and enjoy the ride.