General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost got hit today

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Mcook7373
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost got hit today

Well about 30 minutes ago I got cut of by a semi and almost dropped the bike. I was traveling west bound in the left on the road going the speed limit or under and a grocery store semi truck pulled out of the parking lot, that is on the south side of the road getting ready to turn left into west bound traffic, completely blocked east bound traffic and stopped in the middle of the road. The driver looked at me and stopped in the middle of the turn, then out of nowhere proceeds to continue to his left turn across all four lanes of traffic leaving no where to go. I had to emergency stop and was honking my horn, hit a puddle of water in the road left over from a what looked like over watering and locked up the rear tire for about a half second. I realized it was locked and let the rear break go. Then the bike did what was commonly referred to in the sport bike as a tank slapper but thankfully I managed to keep the shiny side up and came to a stop in the right lane about a foot an a half from the right side curb. The semi continued about his turn and i go around him to the left so I can make my left at the next light to go home, and the driver has his hand out the window giving me the finger yelling and me to, and I quote, "F@*king pay attention." I know I shouldn't have but I flipped up my modular helmet and yelled back and him, "You almost hit me @$$hole." Then he gave me the finger again and continued about his way and I continued home. I know semi's should be given wide berth and I get that but this time I really don't think i was driving in a manner that this could be construed as my fault. I got home and now my lower back hurts but I have made phone calls to the grocery store and am going to write a letter too.

Sorry about the rant but I feel better!

Last edited by Mcook7373; 05-14-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like another day in the life of a rider. Maintain situational awareness, keep your brakes covered if there might be trouble, follow at a more than safe distance, and don't bother screaming at them. Glad you're ok.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad your ok, and your right, if you were on the road and he is coming out into traffic making a left turn, he's absolutley wrong. But then again who wants to be Dead Right? A letter may help, if he has been written up before or has a few complaints, hopefully his employers will take corrective actions.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 773 Posts

Good thing you (and your bike) came out without a scratch. It sucks that happened and that you have to assume that every time you're out something like that will happen.
I would definitely make a complaint to the trucking company and the store, maybe he has a history and it will bite him in the ***.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

We gotta be a lot more Defensive as a rider than a driver.

Glad Ur ok, Its a shame but this probably wont be U last close call.

Another reason I love to ride in our mid west country roads, very little traffic, but still have to really look out for all cross roads.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

5 minutes into my last ride, had one car start to change lanes before the woman realized that I was there. Second driver never bothered to look and changed lanes, forcing me to brake hard. Told that driver what I thought of his driving habits as I rode past him. Guess that taught him a lesson!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the truck # and plate and file a complaint. Maybe this will be the complaint that gets him canned and he'll re-think how he drives.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know the feeling. The one time a driver turned left in front of me, I should have been dead. I basically had to manever through gravel, in and out of trees and mailboxes. When the dust cleared and I regained composure, the driver was nowhere to be found. At least you're OK and got to give him a piece of your mind. I would have done more than that had I been able to find him.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Cabocarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He has to return to that store sometime. Just saying.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

My mantra is, You are invisible!.... Remember you are!

Quick Reply: Almost got hit today