General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great River Road - Any advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great River Road - Any advice

Planning a trip this summer. I was thinking of taking the "Great River Road".
here is the info on it. http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2279/
It runs through Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Wisconsin.

Any ideas, thoughts.... did you like it? What was cool about it. Suggestions on where to stop and see cool stuff. Any information would help me
Thanks
Jimmy D

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 PM
dz672
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great River Road - Any advice

there is a section from grafton, il. to alton, il.( about 15 miles) that is absolutely awsome. there are some good watering holes along the way. i strongly recomend it.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ride it from New Roads, La to almost New Orleans, La. Very peaceful to ride. Farmland, countryside at its best. Tim

Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like blues, BBQ and interested in the War Between the States, you will enjoy the trip thru Mississippi.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

In 2005, I rode from Davenport to St. Louis on the Iowa side of the river, then back up on the Illinois side. This past summer, I rode from Davenport up to Red Wing, MN on the Iowa side and back down on the Wisconsin side. Tons of great scenery and some really nice places to stop and wander around.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Bear64
Banned

Some really good rideing up above Davenport, Iowa, be sure to stop in at BallTown for lunch up above Dubuque, Iowa it is the oldest Restaurant in Iowa with a wonderfull view of the valley..I think you have a good idea about doing that, when you do, you might want to plan it so you can stop off here in Davenport and catch Sturgis on the River for a weekend.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done the northern 1/3 of the Mississippi River more times than I can remember; some on the bike and quite a bit in my truck when I was out there fishing or duck hunting. Both sides through Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa are gorgeous and much of the time you are within view of the water. If at all possible, try to plan a night in Trempealeau, WI. You can camp at Perrot State Park, or there are three motels in town that offer varying ameneties; all the way from a European style (shared bathroom) hotel room at the Trempealeau Hotel for about $35, to the Inn On The River where you can get a jacuzzi room for about $100. It's a cool little town that will make you feel like you've stepped back in time.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

I have only lived in St Louis for 10 months or so...Route 3 kicks ***. You will enjoy it. I have done the entire Illinios section a few times now. Well worth it.

Stop at Fast Eddie's in Alton IL for a history laden biker bar. Stop at the "dockside" in Grafton for great food and a awesome atmosphere.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Philt
Road Master

I agree, Route 3 is awesome. I live in East Central Mo and we ride the ferries across to Grafton and then ride to Alton. I also agree about Dockside in Grafton and Fast Eddies in Alton. Be sure to get a Fat Eddy Burger or Elwood on a Stick at Fast Eddies!
Phil

Old 10-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Philt

I agree, Route 3 is awesome. I live in East Central Mo and we ride the ferries across to Grafton and then ride to Alton. I also agree about Dockside in Grafton and Fast Eddies in Alton. Be sure to get a Fat Eddy Burger or Elwood on a Stick at Fast Eddies!
Phil
Living about 7 miles east of Alton, that is my usual ride. I usually end up going another 10 minutes north of Fast Eddie's to Ted's HD for a dose of chrome

Jim

Quick Reply: Great River Road - Any advice