General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your wife let you get a Harley??? LMAO

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I didn't ask for permission to by a harley (years ago). But, she said one day "I'm tired of hearing about it go by yourself a harley". I'm one my third one.
PS. I did have to buy her a 230hp seadoo (70mph on the water ,now thats scary-freaky) but fun

teamster

Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
whacko
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really?!?!? You had to go there? So I am less of a man in your HUMBLE opinion because I communicate with my wife and make financial decisions with her input? My wife is the best person on the planet and supports my military career through multiple deployments and all of my time away training! My marriage is a partnership and that is why I have been married 17 years and counting and could not be happier. And yes if she told me she thought we should wait to get a $20K bike I would honor her input and wait. And if you think that makes me less of a man I have to say I don't care one bit! Sorry.....had to vent out on that one!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,690 Likes on 705 Posts

I bought the FXR and she bought the bagger. She doesnt ride but she wanted some comfort on the longer rides.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was riding when I first met her. I paid cash for my new FXSTC, so there was no hardship on the family. She loved riding as a passenger and I loved having her as one.
My family didn't go without for me. (blue collar worker, only income at the time)
She's now an ex and I paid cash for my new 08 after she was history.

A co-worker wants a Harley. He and his wife have plenty of money and it wouldn't put a dent in their savings, but this guy has a hard time walking and chewing gum. He wasn't/isn't a rider atm, so of course she has imput on it.
I suggested she make him take the MSF prior to purchase.

Easy to comment sitting on a hill looking down.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko
Really?!?!? You had to go there? So I am less of a man in your HUMBLE opinion because I communicate with my wife and make financial decisions with her input? My wife is the best person on the planet and supports my military career through multiple deployments and all of my time away training! My marriage is a partnership and that is why I have been married 17 years and counting and could not be happier. And yes if she told me she thought we should wait to get a $20K bike I would honor her input and wait. And if you think that makes me less of a man I have to say I don't care one bit! Sorry.....had to vent out on that one!
Hey whacko >>>I'm with you!!!... I ---WE --- don't do any major purchases without talking first. NO secrets.. She is more than just my partner she is my friend and lover.
Been HAPPILY MARRIED TODAY 26YRS

TEAMSTER

Last edited by wyndnface; 05-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you want my opinion, Troll.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrestleantares
I see where you are coming from but some of it may just be semantics - individual interpretation.

I would never buy a new motorcycle or anything else that expensive without coming to an agreement together with my wife. The money is ours, not mine.

That said, I have never asked for permission nor do I need it to get a motorcycle in general. But we do figure out our finances together so when actual time to purchase comes around we figure out what we can afford before I go out and buy.

Last one, about three years ago she was an angel going all over the place and looking at bikes with me. We figured a budget and I got what I wanted within my budget.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
whacko
Novice

Originally Posted by wyndnface
Hey whacko >>>I'm with you!!!... I ---WE --- don't do any major purchases without talking first. NO secrets..
Been HAPPILY MARRIED TODAY 26YRS

TEAMSTER

CONGRATS on 26 years! The way I see it without my wife's support we would not have what we have...so she definately has a say in a decision on buying a new HD! And she enjoys riding with me too!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Married since 1985 to my HS sweetheart and I pretty much get everything I ask for so why not? Not to be a preacher, but if you want to stay together - honesty goes along ways vs. the "do whatever I want" attitude...JMO.

We'll see how long your relationship lasts, I guess...

Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Coyote80
Stage IV

My wife occasionally is a passenger nervous one though). I'm looking, and she wants me to delay buying and rent longer. Harleys ain't cheap so why not keep peace in the family?
I'm working top fund it, so I hope I find the right bike at a good price...soon. <g>
Been married 30 years with no regrets.

Quick Reply: Your wife let you get a Harley??? LMAO