General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Organized tours like on Pashnit or go on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Organized tours like on Pashnit or go on your own?

How do you prefer to tour on your bike? I prefer to go on my own, but have been listening to a pashnit podcast. It sounds kinda cool. I dunno. Has anyone done any of these tours? How did it compare to touring on your own? Let's hear some stories. I move at my own pace, which is my reason for going it alone, and I dislike waiting for others. I can't wait until Scootergrrl gets her own bike. I don't mind waiting for her.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Steeltown
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Organized tours like on Pashnit or go on your own?

I would rather travel with a "couple" of friends then alone, tremendous bonds are built this way

Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prefer my own or with friends.

It isn't difficult to find the best roads, find good restaurants, and explore on you own timing. In a way, it is more of an adventure when you're doing the navigating versus followin.

This past July I had business in Geneva, Switzerland. Toured the Swiss and Italian Alps for five days. Navigated through towns not able to read a shred of Italian. Found great roads, had great memories, found lodging and restaurants, and came back convinced more than ever a hand holding tour is not needed. I enjoyed the flexibility too. After one long day in the saddle I lied low for a day just going over one pass, having lunch, writing post cards, hanging around the town I was in.

Finally, one saves major $$$ leading your own ride.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how well you get along with somebody or a group, there will always be times when you need a rest when others don't, or want to read a historical marker that others would find boring, or want to take a photo that only you see as interesting. A small group of friends would be fine, but no way on the organized tour for me.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always alone. I enjoy the solitude !

Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, travelling on ones own is great. did that in viet nam a couple of years ago and had a blast. rode the funkiest bike ever, the Minsk, a 125cc two stroke scrambler bike. met lots of great people and travelled at my own schedule. i think going in a group can insulate you from meeting other people as easily.

i have also gone on some trips with friends, and thats fun too.

paying for a tour? eh. never for a street/hiway type of tour. I have heard of some great offroad tours in thailand though. i guess im comfortable enough with travelling and hiways, and such that i have the street thing covered, but i know less about offroad, so a tour seems more usefull to me.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:51 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: solorider

No matter how well you get along with somebody or a group, there will always be times when you need a rest when others don't, or want to read a historical marker that others would find boring, or want to take a photo that only you see as interesting. A small group of friends would be fine, but no way on the organized tour for me.

Couldn't agree more........... Riding with friends can be enjoyable, but I think folks get inhibited about stopping or not, because the other folks may not want to, etc.

When I ride by myself I may not stop for 150 miles, but then again, I may stop every other mile to checkout something scenic, or cup of java, or a smoke, scratch my @ss, etc......... you get the point.

Riding styles have a lot to do with it, also.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pashnit tours seem cool because they are at your own pace.
They set destinations and departure times, and map out the road for you. You can ride fast or slow, stop all you want.
It seems like it might be fun. I have tried to visit a lot of the roads he lists, and they are definately nice.

This guy knows his CA roads.