General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike: fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. My first bike was a fatboy. Still have it and love it. Had the same riding background as you. (Although I'm much older lol ) great bike you won't be sorry.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko
Just keep in mind that fatboy is more of a boulivard bruiser than a highway cruiser. You can take the fb and do whatever you want but long stretches of highway will not be ideal.
Baloney. A good setup, aftermarket seat, give it a tune and you can ride coast to cast. Fat Boys are the best all-around bike Harley makes. It'll do anything you ask of it and more...

Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 AM
FatSound
3rd Gear

A beautiful scooter and perfectly fine as a first regardless of skill level.

My first H-D was a FB purchased when I was 26 in 1992 (5' 11" / 160 lbs). I had never owned a bike before and I found it to be a very willing partner for someone with zero experience.

For me it wasn't overly comfortable in stock form for long highway rides, but it was a joy for weekend, backroad blasts and around town cruising.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
harleydiver
Advanced

With zero prior riding experience, my wife bought a fatty after completing the Rider's Edge course. It's a very easy bike to ride. If you can complete the MSF course, you can buy ANY bike in the Harley showroom and proceed s-l-o-w-l-y developing your skills around you neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funkfist
Hi, I have been riding dirt bikes for most of my life (I'll be 19 in a few months, riding since 10) and I was looking to purchase my first bike and I want it to be a harley. I'm going to a MSF course next week and after that I'm buying a bike. I have $16k in cash and I was looking at used fatboys and I was wondering if that would be too much bike for me to start with? Thanks

Fatboy was my first bike...no experience, right out of MSF course. Good one...with your experience, buy whatever you want.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
funkfist
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going for the fatboy! Only a few more days before I take my class and get my bike. I have another question though. Would it be worth taking the HD class after taking the MSF? It looks like HD's class is 10 hours longer than the MSF I'm going to. Not sure what they teach and wondering if it's worth it.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko
Just keep in mind that fatboy is more of a boulivard bruiser than a highway cruiser. You can take the fb and do whatever you want but long stretches of highway will not be ideal.
What did you smoke before you thought about posting this?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it I took the NSF course and then went out and bought a road king classic.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by funkfist
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going for the fatboy! Only a few more days before I take my class and get my bike. I have another question though. Would it be worth taking the HD class after taking the MSF? It looks like HD's class is 10 hours longer than the MSF I'm going to. Not sure what they teach and wondering if it's worth it.

in a word... NO...

from what i have read, it is nothing more then the MSF course with the dealer glitz and glamour on top of it..

good luck on your FB and keep the shiney side up.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My wifes first bike was (and is) a Fat Boy. She has done just fine on it.

However, you are about my size and I find her bike a little small for me. You might want to check out a Heritage Softail, or Street Glide. They are running used for about 16k here. Be much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: First bike: fatboy?