General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike: fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko
Just keep in mind that fatboy is more of a boulivard bruiser than a highway cruiser. You can take the fb and do whatever you want but long stretches of highway will not be ideal.
On the other hand, add a detachable windshield and you've pretty much got a heritage. My softail standard does great for long stretches of highway with a detachable windshield. If you're used to a touring bike, you might miss the TV and coffee maker.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM
BearNVa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
If you're used to a touring bike, you might miss the TV and coffee maker.
Fat Boy Lo only way to go... for me!! 1st Harley 3 weeks ago. If I could add a roof it would replace my convertible.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
funkfist
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
Blue book retail on the bike is $12300, so I guess $11000 doesn't sound like a bad deal. What type of upgrades has been made to the bike in question and are you willing to live with them, the reason I ask is everyone knows that the HD in Harley Davidson stands for Hundreds of Dollars. So everything you are going to have to change is goning to cost (which should deduct for the purchase price). As far a being a good starter bike, as long as you are comfortable on it then it will be ok, but you do need some practice with it (in a empty parking lot) the bike will handle a lot different than a dirt bike or the 250cc bike you take the MSF on.
It has stage 1 parts on it (air,full exhaust and tuned), crome'd out and fresh paint. His wife is making him sell it to buy a minivan and they need cash quick . I thought it was a hard deal to beat but I found a '08 for 13k stock with 3200 miles on it. I'd have 3k to play with after I bought the '08 for parts and chrome

Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It all depends on what feels most comfortable to you. My fatboy lo was my 3rd bike after a Honda Shadow and the Nightster. Since I'm short, it was one of the few bikes I truly felt comfortable on without having to lower it or make any other mods.

As for handling, my husband's street bob handles better than my fat boy lo around corners and twisties. It's much more nimble and agile than the fat boy but again, it all comes down to what you like best, what your budget is and what you feel comfortable on.

As for power, I have no problem keeping up with my husband if he wanted to go wide open on the throttle and hit 90+ on some of the back country roads. It handles just as great at high speeds as low speeds.

I definitely recommend test driving a few models, you can't go by looks alone.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fatboy was not designed to be as nimble around corners and twisties as you call it ..... It's a cruiser! .... by definition that means it cruises , it does not and was not designed for that purpose there are other bikes in the Harley line up that handle those situations better ..... sure it can be ridden hard! but you can only take the bike and your level of competence so far riding it before it lets you know!

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 05-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose a Fatboy so that I can have a cool and sporty looking bike for around town, then for long distance cruising, I just install my detatchable windshield, saddle bags, luggage rack, back rest, and 2 up seat. I can install all the detachable stuff in less than 5 minutes and have a totally different looking bike. I've rode my bike on the Tail of the Dragon, then the Blueridge Parkway, and then Skyline Drive in one week, and put lots of miles on it. The long ride never bothered me or my girlfriend on the back.
It's almost like having 2 different bikes.

Attached Thumbnails First bike: fatboy?-compressedwind-generators1.jpg   First bike: fatboy?-compressedmy-bike.jpg  
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was not going to chime in here but I think there is a BIG difference in riding dirt bikes and riding a motorcycle. Granted you have the basics down but I wouldn't encourage someone to start on a 1500cc bike as a first street bike. Almost anyone I know started smaller and worked up (confidence builder for riding on the street is major). You are free to do what you choose but IMO i think looking at a smaller cc bike to start is a better option.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Dynamohm
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by average_bear
Dude if you've been riding dirtbikes forever, I sincerely encourage you to check out the Dyna models. I think you will find their handling to be far superior to the FB.
My son 19 years old is a really fast sponsored MX rider. He rides my Dyna and my Road King better than most who have been riding all their lives. No worries for you. You will be able to handle anything you buy. I think the Dyna series would be the most fun for you to ride. I raced MX for 9 years and I would take my Roadking or Superglide Sport over all the Softail models. 16K is alot of dough to spend make sure you buy something you will have fun riding. Like most have said take your time and choose wisely. If you have talent on the dirt nothing will be too much for you.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kccustom
I never rode before, took the MSF course and went and got a fatboy.
Exact same story here. Was even riding two-up on back roads the first night. Only you can judge your level of comfort/responsibility. I wouldn't have changed anything about my experience, it worked out perfectly and I (and the Mrs.) couldn't be happier!

Quick Reply: First bike: fatboy?