Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DILEMMA: Can't afford both.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are both nice bikes but If you are into long rides you'll like the RK better, I got my RK the way I wanted it then bought a SE ultra now the RK sits , the ultra is that much better of a ride remember there is always another step up you need to decide what you want or can spend

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not getting what you want - it's wanting what you got. The grass usually looks greener, but it's all grass. Keep your bike and enjoy it.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
OK, I love my 2005 Deluxe. I've put a bunch of money into it. V&H big radius, chrome front end, chrome calipers, braided cables, mustgang seat, windshild, sissy bar and a bunch more. The DILEMMA IS. I'm really digging a 2011 Road King Classic. The 103 motor is the *****. The king rides great. BUT, it ain't cheap and i'll be starting over at stock and spending another crapload o' cash.

Figure i can get 10-11K trade for my deluxe. MSRP on the RKC is about 21K.

Help me out guys. What should i do. Is the RK really that much more comfortable a ride. Of course i test rode her but 10-20 miles just doesn't tell enough. Advice..............
We've all been there and done that. Buy the RK now and 2 years later, something else will be newer and better and you will be asking the same question. I really want to trade my SG for a CVO SG, almost did it too, several times at that, but brought myself back to reality each and every time (and I still regret it!); this will happen, just not right now because I simply cannot justify losing my beloved SG just for some shiny **** and cool paint -- besides, I already have a nice 103", so paint and bling bling will be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bike if I really need a change. We'll see.

Why not upgrade the motor on your Deluxe? This would be a lot cheaper than a new bike. Obviously you have put the time, effort, love and $$$ into it, so, at some point in your life, it was "the bike". Right? Why the dislike for it now? And unless you sell privately, the dealer will not give you 10-11k; mods mean very, very little to them.

And here is some food for thought: How long have you wanted the RK? Is this just a fad because you saw something new and shiny. Or, have you been wanting to change for a while? A while being at least a year.

Good luck, however, bike shopping is always fun!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I think I would wait it out too. Do you do a lot of touring/long rides? If so, maybe get a used RK and keep the Deluxe?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

My GF rides a 2009 Deluxe, she loves it. I ride a 2010 StreetGlide, I love it. I ride both of them when I feel the urge. Absolutely NO COMPARISON in the ride! Hands down I will take the StreetGlide any day over the Deluxe. Not saying the Deluxe is bad but more that the StreetGlide is SO much better. It all has to do with how you ride and where. Touring is the StreetGlides long suit, whereas the Deluxe may be a better bike around town and bar to bar. Cant tell you how to spend your money but just know if you get that RK you will most likely not ride the Deluxe again anyway.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think you'll get what you think for a trade in on your Deluxe. I've contemplated trading my RK in for a RG but decided I am very happy with my bike and I'd rather invest money in the RK.

I guess if you're debating that bad, you're better off sticking with your Deluxe.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think you'll get what you think for a trade in on your Deluxe. I've contemplated trading my RK in for a RG but decided I am very happy with my bike and I'd rather invest money in the RK.

I guess if you're debating that bad, you're better off sticking with your Deluxe.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it - you only live once.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It really depends on what kind of riding you do and plan on doing. If it were me I would just put $3000 into the motor of the Lux and keep on rolling. For that amount of cash you can smoke a stock 103 every time. If you want bags get a bagger tail and some bags. But, that is just me. Prices on new bikes are way too much for me right now and I won't get another until I can keep what I have already. Call me a collector. I do plenty of touring on my fatboy and it gets me there well.

Drew

Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Really hard choice, I've already been there. Before you assume what the dealer will give you, check it out first. Also if the 2011 with the 103 is what you really want, try waiting until the end of the year once the 2012's have been out. I guarantee there will either be a low mileage used on, or left over new, that you can get a much better deal on. Right now the riding season is coming into full swing and the dealer has an edge, six months from now, different story.

Quick Reply: DILEMMA: Can't afford both.