General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty bit of road almost took us

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kiltiemon
"....about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph...."

I thought you were too much of an independent, "I'll take care of myself" kind of guy to immediately look for a government "handout"!

Jim aka kiltiemon
I do and probably you and a lot of your relatives with my taxes.

And thank you for your comments and warm wishes of gratitude for my post warning others to be careful. Bob

Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM
vhrock
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is crazy! Glad y'all are okay! Can't believe the police didn't even seem concerned! Ride safe! Glad you posted this, cuz I'm sure it could happen anywhere!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Bob
...Yes, a 45 degree jump at 35 mph will lift an 800 lb bike 3 feet off the ground. I know because I did it.
Its a slow day at work so I had my friend point to a yard stick at the 36" mark next to my bike. There is absolutely no way you jumped my grip 2-up at 35 mph and suffered no mechanical/ physical damage.

I am VERY glad that you and yours are fine but seriously....

Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Oh that's ugly and has or will kill someone soon . Nice save on your part and your right I'm betting 70% or more of the riders out there would have ate it . Think I'd be screaming bloody murder to any and all authorities that you can contact about it . That will take a car down hard much less a bike .

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Its a slow day at work so I had my friend point to a yard stick at the 36" mark next to my bike. There is absolutely no way you jumped my grip 2-up at 35 mph and suffered no mechanical/ physical damage.
Hate to disagree with you I believe the man no problem . I've gotten 3+ feet of air just hitting a friggen pot hole the guy behind me said the only thing that keep my wife on the bike was the 4' tall sissy bar I was running at the time plus he saw the tag on the car in front of us from under my bike , so a ramped incline at speed ? Yes you can .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Hate to disagree with you I believe the man no problem . I've gotten 3+ feet of air just hitting a friggen pot hole the guy behind me said the only thing that keep my wife on the bike was the 4' tall sissy bar I was running at the time plus he saw the tag on the car in front of us from under my bike , so a ramped incline at speed ? Yes you can .
Twiz- I got nothing but respect for ya. I am just saying 3 feet is A LOT of air. Here's Josh Brookes at Cadwell. In this video he is over 60 mph launching off a 30 degree incline. His front wheel is 3.2 feet off the pavement and the rear is nowhere near that high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy4bZ...eature=related

Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Twiz- I got nothing but respect for ya. I am just saying 3 feet is A LOT of air. Here's Josh Brookes at Cadwell. In this video he is over 60 mph launching off a 30 degree incline. His front wheel is 3.2 feet off the pavement and the rear is nowhere near that high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy4bZ...eature=related
Was riding a hardtail at the time to boot we were on the Pa. Turnpike doing 70 . I had been through several advanced riders courses and hung with some old school hard core trials riders they taught me a LOT about handling a bike in hairy conditions like riding over or through large objects on the road during any conditions . Wouldn't be here other wise that one would have killed us both and it did do damage and jammed the hell outa my back , broke the frame on the bike & tweaked both fork tubes it was so violent . Place we stopped at 600 yrs down the road said it had gotten at least 3 cars already that week .

Had the shovel in the sig in the air a few times over her life too , couldn't say how high nobody behind to witness it .

Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it was only 2.63 ft. in the air. Dangerous section of road even for the physics majors.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good save! That road is obviously washing out on the left there. Hopefully that is just a temporary makeshift repair. They are going to have to tear that section of road up to fix it right. You said in a later post that there was a sign, but it doesn't sound like it adequately conveyed the extreme nature of the "uneven lanes". Take a pic of that before you contact them, they will probably put up better warning signs after you do. I wouldn't be surprised if you are not the only one to complain about it either.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why my night driving has slowed way down. In fact I avoid it. Glad you made it through it without getting hurt. Now that they have been informed of the problem the next guy can sue them if he hits the pavement... They are aware of it now the liability is on them.......

Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
Looks a lot like our fine roads here in south Louisiana. I stay away from unfamiliar roads at night, you just never know what's lurking around the next corner. Still no reply on where this is at?
+1on your post. Roads around were I live in the same condition. It's going get worse with all the Feds , States and counties crying poverty. Account the recession. But they still taxing the **** out of me.

Quick Reply: Nasty bit of road almost took us