General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty bit of road almost took us

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Good on ya for holding onto it through that one. I'd alos like to know where that stretch is.

I don't know what you were expecting, calling the police, though. Better that you call the county or state road department, depending on what road that is.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Sgt Mac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
Very dangerous looking. You might try contacting a local TV news agency about warning those using that road.
Agreed, a little bit of 'journalistic sensationalism' may even get it fixed the right way. It's not uncommon, I've run across a few road repairs like this, not quite as bad though. Luckily they have all been on my sportbike, without a steering damper, it would have been bad news.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow,that looks pretty phucked up.Glad to hear you were able to hang on!
Thats one of the risks involved riding a bike.Glad I road dirt bikes for many years!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

If its a state road then U needed to call State police. At least here its that way.
I've seen my son, a Deputy on bad pot holes on our county roads call and wait till county road guys get there and either puts up warning signs or fixes it.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Bob
See the photo, my wife and I almost bought the farm thanks to the State Road department. The drop off was 18 inches and the ramp back up was 18 inches at a 45 degree angle in a blind curve! It may not look like it but that is what it was.

Basically, we were doing an Evel Knievel type jump that lifted our Screamin Eagle Road King about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph. If I had been less experienced or on a lesser bike, we’d be done on this earth. I was literally steering the bike while in the air!!!!!!!!!! I had to tag the rear brake to straighten her out!!!!!!!! I’m still puckered!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the front wheel bearings were the victim.

My back hurts and I need a lawyer!!!

Boys and Girls, don’t think it can’t happen in a blink of an eye, be safe out there! Bob

Glad you folks pulled through and that your ok. I have to say however, that what you are looking at is common place in Vermont. Our paved roads are in worse condition than the gravel back roads. There has been more than one biker that has lost his bike do to a pot hole swallowing the entire front wheel. In this state you don't have a wing or a prayer with a law suit. Travel at your own risk. Even in the winter, folks have tried law suits because of snow and ice accidents. The law states that Vermont does not have a clear road policy, and you travel at your own risk. This does apply in the summer as well. Hit a difference in pavemt level on a blind corner and go down...too bad! Make sure you check the state laws before attempting a law suit so you don't end up wasting your hard earned money. Again, I'm glad you folks made it out of it ok.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

See the photo, my wife and I almost bought the farm thanks to the State Road department. The drop off was 18 inches and the ramp back up was 18 inches at a 45 degree angle in a blind curve! It may not look like it but that is what it was.

Basically, we were doing an Evel Knievel type jump that lifted our Screamin Eagle Road King about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph.
Boys and Girls, don’t think it can’t happen in a blink of an eye, be safe out there! Bob
Glad you're OK, but I'm going to be the dick here and say... come on, man! First, I have a real hard time believing that ANY road crew would leave an 18" drop in & out of a repair, temporary fix or not. 2nd, umm, 3' off the ground at 35mph on a 800lb RK!? Seriously?? And C, and probably most important, if you couldn't see that MASSIVE "hole" in the road and slow down in enough time to avoid it, or at least prevent yourself from being vaulted out the other side, I'd say that you were going too fast. You admit that it was on a blind corner and most people riding on unfamiliar roads slow down and don't out-ride their line of sight. If you'd have come around the corner and a disabled vehicle was in the middle of the road and you slammed into the back of it, whose fault would it be??

Like I said, it's great that you guys are OK, but maybe you should accept your own responsibility in the whole incident. ANY single vehicle accident (car, bike, etc.) is always the driver/rider's fault. Just ask your attorney when you go to file your bogus lawsuit...

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

....about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph....
yup. how big was that fish again?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks a lot like our fine roads here in south Louisiana. I stay away from unfamiliar roads at night, you just never know what's lurking around the next corner. Still no reply on where this is at?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:56 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

"....about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph...."

I cocked an eyebrow at that one, myself.

It's really hard to tell, bob, by the picture, just how bad the patch is. But shifts like that in the mountains are quite common. Old road beds have been there for many years, and even with new top-paving, still depend on the initial work of road crews many decades prior for their stability.

One of the best rules for driving in the mountains (anywhere where you can't see ahead) is to NEVER overdrive your line of sight. That's exactly what you did in this case. Yeah, I've done it too!

So the verdict here is: Driving too fast for conditions and failure to have vehicle under control (Though thankfully, you DID keep it under control save for the pucker factor!).

While I agree that its a sorry job of road maintenance, isn't it just a bit of sucking the public tit of the "nanny state" to expect the public to pay for your own indescretions??

I thought you were too much of an independent, "I'll take care of myself" kind of guy to immediately look for a government "handout"!

And, Bob... thank you for your post! Like I said, I and many of us here, have made the very same mistake in overdriving our line of sight. A good heads'up for all!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Glad you're OK, but I'm going to be the dick here and say... come on, man! First, I have a real hard time believing that ANY road crew would leave an 18" drop in & out of a repair, temporary fix or not. 2nd, umm, 3' off the ground at 35mph on a 800lb RK!? Seriously?? And C, and probably most important, if you couldn't see that MASSIVE "hole" in the road and slow down in enough time to avoid it, or at least prevent yourself from being vaulted out the other side, I'd say that you were going too fast. You admit that it was on a blind corner and most people riding on unfamiliar roads slow down and don't out-ride their line of sight. If you'd have come around the corner and a disabled vehicle was in the middle of the road and you slammed into the back of it, whose fault would it be??

Like I said, it's great that you guys are OK, but maybe you should accept your own responsibility in the whole incident. ANY single vehicle accident (car, bike, etc.) is always the driver/rider's fault. Just ask your attorney when you go to file your bogus lawsuit...
We rode the bike to Northern Kentucky on a ride to Rabbit Hash, KY. It's a small place along the Ohio river and a nice scenic ride for us. We have ridden that rode many times before and several times this year already, it’s one of our favorite rides. I edited the OP to reflect it at Rabbit Hash. There was a sign about 1 mile back that said uneven lanes ahead but no change in speed limit. I hit an uneven patch of lanes in the beginning and through the tight turn and was watching those numerous broken shifts pretty closely but they were manageable at 35 mph. I admit that I didn’t see this drop off due to the distraction of the broken shifts and the glare or riding into the sun, at the end of the BLIND TURN until it was too late, that is my fault. Had I locked up the brakes in the 1/4 second that I had time to react, we would have gone down for sure.

Yes, I was driving so I take responsibility for my part. Yes, I was going the posted speed limit and if a hazardous driving condition exists, it is the responsibility of the State Road Department to modify the speed limit due to the hazard. Yes, it’s about an 18 inches deep drop off. No, I didn’t have a set of micrometers with me to get an exact measurement, my bad. Yes, a 45 degree jump at 35 mph will lift an 800 lb bike 3 feet off the ground. I know because I did it. Yes, anybody with half a brain can look at that and see that it’s pretty frickin deep and you wouldn’t want to hit it at 35.

Yes, I was just giving a warning to all about blind turns and to be ready because anything can happen. Bob

Last edited by Biker Bob; 05-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Nasty bit of road almost took us