General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty bit of road almost took us

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The only reason you made it out of that is because of your loud pipes. Clearly this is proof that they save lives!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Bob
See the photo, my wife and I almost bought the farm thanks to the State Road department. The drop off was 18 inches and the ramp back up was 18 inches at a 45 degree angle in a blind curve! It may not look like it but that is what it was.

Basically, we were doing an Evel Knievel type jump that lifted our Screamin Eagle Road King about 3 feet off the road at 35 mph. If I had been less experienced or on a lesser bike, we’d be done on this earth. I was literally steering the bike while in the air!!!!!!!!!! I had to tag the rear brake to straighten her out!!!!!!!! I’m still puckered!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the front wheel bearings were the victim.

My back hurts and I need a lawyer!!!

Boys and Girls, don’t think it can’t happen in a blink of an eye, be safe out there! Bob

Be glad you didn't hit that at night! I'm glad you came through it ok for the most part.

Similar happened to me one night on my 3 week old Ultra. State had stripped the top 3-4 inches of asphalt off 2/3 of my lane and did not put a construction sign one up. That stretch had always been patched so the color change did not alarm me. My wife was following on her bike so I was in the left third of the lane and hit right on the drop off. I didn't realized at the time what was happening, just that I was steering left and right, back and forth trying to go straight down the road. All this time I am listening to my wife screaming behind me. After maybe 200 yards at 55 mph my bike settled down and we stopped. Wife said my rear end was fishtailing from side to side, just missing her front tire by inches. She couldn't hit her brakes hard because she was on the squiggly grooves left by the asphalt stripper.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-read your post and saw the line where your back hurts. I would go see a doctor and contcat the transportation department and start a claim for bike repairs and medical bills. If they don't respond, or deny your claim,then a lawyer is certainly in order. Take lots of pictures.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is this located?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is this located?
Best response in the thread yet, other than "Glad you're okay".

If you tell us where this road is, maybe you'll help out another rider or two.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rate that at 99% pucker factor. I bet that scared you, you would think they would at least have a "bump ahead" sign up. I would send the Governor an E-mail with that Pic. Bet it gets fixed then.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear your ok. I would definitely pursue the matter, starting with the state DOT, and as one of the previous posters said, local news station, they sometimes love these kind of stories especially if the local DOT has any kind of controversy going.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, where is that?

Thank goodness you weren't killed!

No sign nothing? Holy crap, I would do as suggested and see a Dr. and file a claim.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It Probably would not affect a cage to any great degree and obviously nobody thought "I wonder what would happen if a motorcylist hit this?"

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Over Easter I had the family in the cage and we headed to SD to see my wife's Mother. Cruising along at 65 and there is a sign that says Bump, 5MPH and a red flag. I hit the brakes hard and we barely get slowed down to about 25-30 as we launch off a similar bit of road, except that they had not repaved anything, so the road just ended and there was about a 30 foot section of rutted gravel, following the 12-18 inch initial drop.
Be careful out there. If I would have been on the bike, I might not be here now.

Quick Reply: Nasty bit of road almost took us