General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet wind buffetting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I can for sure after cutting my shield down twice, say that a lower shield won't stop the buffering..

I have experimented with putting my legs next to the tank, that will stop most of it.

So I am sure most of it comes from below.That's why the fangs works.

We don't have to wear a helmet here at home, so I seldom do.

The ones I bought the wife and I were HJC's 3/4 lids. Tried them on at the shop. Bought the ones the felt good, But I totally messed up and got them too big...

I got the XL and the wife a Small. After looking at the size chart should have got a MED for me and XS for the wife.

Reading in here that a loose Helmet will shake on U head, and since they have really thick padding though I try on the wifes helmet.
I was surprised that not only could I get it on (it was tight but still felt OK) I rode for with it for a couple hrs, The Helmet shakes where gone.

So with a tight Helmet, the Helmet whipping was gone. Still have the wind buffering but no Helmet shaking.

To make sure it was the Helmet I put my XL back on and road tested it, it shook my head all over from the buffering, Its so bad it make's my vision blurry.

When Son and I went on our bike trip 6 weeks ago I took the wifes S helmet and wore it in the States that requires one.
Three days straight, averaged 8hrs a day riding wearing it.
No helmet shaking, No blurred vision, no headaches. It worked just fine.

So two things that'll help.
1. get the fangs.
2 Wear as tight as helmet as U can stand.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents is this.The straps on the helmet may be vibrating.Wait don't laugh it happens often.Tie a cord around the helmet straps and ride it.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 PM
jskibs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pretty much given up on 1/2 helmets. I figure they don't serve much purpose besides keeping you legal in mandatory states and are mostly uncomfortable at speed, at least in my experience. 3/4 with a visor/shield is even worse. As in all comfort related things, your mileage may vary. No helmet law here in IL so I'm either going helmetless or full face. For me, going any kind of distance at highway speed, FF is most comfortable of all options. Stop and go city traffic on a hot day and its doo rag time.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Take a look at these shields. The up turn at the top of the shield seems to direct air above you so the buffeting isn't annoying.,http://www.longrideshields.com/products.html