General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet wind buffetting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 19" Memphis Shades windshield on my Fatboy, and I experienced a lot of helmet buffetting too. It would sometimes make my eyes jiggle.

I solved it by adding the lower fang type wind deflectors. Had to modify them a bit to clear my quick release mounts on the non-HD windshield. But it made a difference like night and day.

Here is my take on what is happening:

With a windshield on your bike, it does stop the wind that is coming right at you. Problem is that produces a low pressure area behind the windshield that just sucks the wind up from below. Or actually the wind from below is just rushing up to occupy the low pressure area.

You can test this by just laying your left arm across your chest while riding, and it will be calm around your head.
I could also stop it by putting my feet up on the top of the engine guards and holding my legs tight against the gas tank.
I could also, while riding normally, put my hand out flat on either side of my gas tank, and it would feel like powerful fans blowing the air up.

Adding the lower wind deflectors deflects the high pressure air from below so it doesn't rush up into the low pressure area behind the windshield.

Your helmet has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Some guys say that you have to cut your windshield right down or go to a Windvest windshield.
These 2 options will work to a point, just because either way the windshield is much smaller than a stock shield, so there is a lot less of a low pressure area behind it so the air from underneath is not rushing up nearly as much. The trade-off is that they don't block nearly as much wind form the front either.

So to solve your problem, keep your windshield as it is and your helmet and add some lower wind deflectors.

You could also get a Jack's Flaps vest, but you will probably still be getting the wind on your lower chest area up to where the flaps are located, but it does look like a viable solution also. Does any body have one of these vests? I would like to see a review or comment from someone who has tried one.

To see a video of what is happening with the wind buffetting, go to http://www.jacksflaps.com and click on the video link icon right below the picture of the vest. The video explains and shows you what the problem is.

-

Last edited by Stubby3492; 05-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 1/2 helmet have a visor? If so, take it off if it is removable. I've ridden every bike I've had with a 1/2 helmet (Sportster, RKC, Heritage Classic, and UC). The wind has a tendancy to get up under the visor and tries to rip your head off on some bikes (been there and ended rides with a very sore neck). The ride is much better without that wind catcher (visor).

Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Radical123
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to hear from any one that has the jackflaps vest,

Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
ArtySmoke
Cruiser

Are your feet on the highway pegs? At 50 mph or better I’ve noticed I get more wind coming up from below the wind shield with my feet on the pegs vs. having them on the boards.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
glenn473
6th Gear

Man..Thanks Everybody. This all makes sense. While experimenting yesterday I did notice that the majority of wind was actually comming up on both sides of tank. I have tried taking visor off helmet and blocking wind with my hand above windshield with no help.
Think I will try deflectors.
Dam..just another trip to store but spent many years without a windshield and really like it on long trips.

Thanks Again

Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go slow, or ride with the wind. Works for me..but then it returns when I turn around to go home.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by geneinnc
You sure your helmet fits properly? 1/2's can be a bitch to fit correctly. Cinch it down tight, and if it swivels more than a touch when you grab the base, you might need a smaller one.

I learned the hard way about mail ordering helmets. No 2 are exactly the same.
I had my buffeting cured until I bought a new 1/2 helmet. +1 on tightening them up.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
treasurecoastdj
Novice

still have the deflectors need them on a 2001 roadkind.
Treasurecoastdj@aol.com

Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Radical123
I would like to hear from any one that has the jackflaps vest,
Use to ride a 2007 Sportster w/ windshield. Jackflaps eliminate the buffeting to my helmets. I have a 1/2, 3/4, and full face depending on where and how long I ride.

Simple test to see if a Jackflaps will help, as seen on the website video, is to hold up your arm to chest level while riding, if you feel a difference, then Jackflaps works. Since it's adjustable via laces on the sides, sometimes I wore it over my jacket, especially on the freeway.

Riding a SG with fairing nowadays, still keep the vest cause of the patches.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by treasurecoastdj
still have the deflectors need them on a 2001 roadkind.
Treasurecoastdj@aol.com
Mine are for softails.

Quick Reply: helmet wind buffetting issue