General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet wind buffetting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
geneinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure your helmet fits properly? 1/2's can be a bitch to fit correctly. Cinch it down tight, and if it swivels more than a touch when you grab the base, you might need a smaller one.

I learned the hard way about mail ordering helmets. No 2 are exactly the same.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Markus161
Advanced

I have the same issue on my RK with a full face helmet. I find if I take off the windshield it's not an issue, but I like the windshield for highway riding. Either going to try the wind deflectors or taller windshield.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe go with a non-DOT helmet.. if you are willing to do that.

DOT helmets give you kind of a "mushroom head" effect, because they stick out a good inch all the way around your head.. (from what I've read that padding only helps you on LOW speed impacts anyway). So the mushroom thing kind of acts like a frigging parachute, and what ever way your head gets pushed, your body will follow... and so will our bike.

A 3/4 DOT helmet has a smaller mushroom - parachute effect..

I think there's a company I've seen advertize here called NOVDOT - or maybe that's the helmet name.. ? .., anyway - look for DOT helmets that have a lower profile that will catch the wind.

Actually the biggest thing you can do is just ride... believe it or not, you'll get used to it and it won't bug you much any more.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Maybe go with a non-DOT helmet.. if you are willing to do that.

DOT helmets give you kind of a "mushroom head" effect, because they stick out a good inch all the way around your head.. (from what I've read that padding only helps you on LOW speed impacts anyway). So the mushroom thing kind of acts like a frigging parachute, and what ever way your head gets pushed, your body will follow... and so will our bike.

A 3/4 DOT helmet has a smaller mushroom - parachute effect..

I think there's a company I've seen advertize here called NOVDOT - or maybe that's the helmet name.. ? .., anyway - look for DOT helmets that have a lower profile that will catch the wind.

Actually the biggest thing you can do is just ride... believe it or not, you'll get used to it and it won't bug you much any more.

Edited to add :

Wasn't there an advertizer here on hd forums that had some kind of fancy vest thing with flaps that would come up to block the wind aimed at your head?

Last edited by tinker1; 05-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't prove this but on a 1/2 helmet I think the strap edges vibrate making the buzzing.Try a hanky tied around the straps if that stops it a headband will work.

T K

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisangie
LOL, i thought i was the only one that tried to put them on wrong!

its easy to do. when i had 3" or so of clearance between the deflectors and the eng bar with the forks full locked, i knew something wasn't right. since the instructions are pretty much worthless i google pic'ed for lower deflectors and sure enough i had them mixed up.

there's A LOT of folks out there with their deflectors on backwards..

Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Wind deflectors & a king windshield did the trick for me. I have a set of deflectors available, if you're interested PM me.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

Darn icky wind.......

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
They work really well. Almost everybody that has installed them won't give them up.

+1 on the wind deflectors. Other Sheep is right, I won't give them up.

They really work!

The buffeting is caused by wind coming up from UNDER the windshield. The wind deflectors kick the wind out to the side and away from you. The one downside to the deflectors is they kind of hold some engine heat in at slow speeds. Get above 35 or so and it goes away.

Last edited by Mal74; 05-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
wrestleantares
Advanced

[quote=brenn;8293374]
Far as I know, cutting thewindshield is to reduce windshield buffeting - I think that would increase helmet buffeting.
[quote]

Not true. There are two ways to stop helmet buffeting (actually turbulent air at helmet level).

1. Is to get your head into free moving air (only at you) this is done by cutting/lowering the windshield.

2. Getting yourself into a wind free pocket. This is can be done by getting a windshield tall enough to throw it over you. BUT, a better solution is a windshield designed to push the turbulent air over you - so you can still look over it properly.

If the helmet buffeting you are talking about is just happening because your helmet is catchin the clear air (not in turbulence) that is a helmet problem.

Quick Reply: helmet wind buffetting issue