General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was about to stop for a biker

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I lived in Maine, the dudes there were tops. I had more people stop for me there the few times I had issues. I am a smarter rider now. It taught me one lesson; stop and just ask. It is the least you do. I do and will continue to stop and ask.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Oh yeah. I learned that in elementary school. I hate getting old! LOL

Originally Posted by Garandman
It refers to the Battle of Trenton, the first victory of the Continentals against British forces and their Hessian mercenaries.

A little historical license, since the battle actually took place on the 26th. But I saw a poster with that slogan and stole it....

Ironically this is the battle that convinced the French that the Americans were worth supporting. And we won the information war because an American Privateer was dispatched to France with news of the victory, arriving 10 days before the British had any information about the battle at all.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
_Andy_
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm alone I'll stop to check on a stopped bike to make sure that they're ok and I've fixed a few on the side of the road over the years. If I've got the family with me I'll usually slow down and see if they look like they're having an issue and judge it from there.

Somebody told me once that they old school way to let people know that you are having bike issues is to put your helmet on the ground behind the bike. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I stop, and my wife will pull over a little further down the road. Yes, they may be texting or calling someone on the phone. They may be calling for someone to help them or bring them gas.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,586 Likes on 5,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Get over it. Everyone knows no self respectin psycho killer would ride a sportster.

j/k
If they did, they would be a she

Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by _Andy_
Somebody told me once that they old school way to let people know that you are having bike issues is to put your helmet on the ground behind the bike. Anyone else ever heard of this?
Yes, I've heard of it but many people don't have helmets.
Another good sign is to be squatted down working on the bike or stand behind the bike waving both arms above your head. Sitting off to the side works too, usually an indication that you have been there a while.
I've had more than one guy tell me not to worry, help was on the way. They usually appreciate a bottle of water and some conversation while they wait.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Did they ride bitch?
thats pretty funny.. I remember a time when If another rider broke down another rider didn't have any problem with them riding on the back for a ride into town.. this was before cell phones. You took into the nearest town so they could get a mechanic (if we couldn't fix it there on the side of the road). Or call someone to pick up the bike, ect.

To many people worried about what everybody else thinks.. homophobes. when my good friend died on the way up to meet us at a local bar. then needed to get his bike off the street. I rode bitch to get to the bike.. only way we had to take care of it.

I stop for others if they are broke down.. especially if then are out on a two lane away from anybody.

Last edited by chromedome09; 05-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firebrick
The key is to be a psycho killer. Then you can pick anyone up and at least be on even ground.
How many bodies do you have to have in the bag before you are considered a psycho killer vs a regular one? I hope I'm close. lol

I only stop if I have my "peacemaker" with me.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The United States Army: Killing you in your sleep on Christmas.
Well... if you KNEW someone was sent to kill your azz, and you KNEW it was either going to be you or them... then the above is called: "Tactical Advantage".

I can't fault them a bit.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what they teach in the Army: if you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Germans celebrate hard on Christmas, so I'm sure those Hessians were some hurting buckos. And Washington was greatly assisted by having Glover's Regiment - fishermen from Marblehead, MA and the area who had been handling pulling boats all their lives.

Quick Reply: Was about to stop for a biker