General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMMIT i couldn't get Harley from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 AM
zjones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daddy-o
daddy-o's rules for toy buying:

Rule #1: Man should not buy what man can not afford.
Rule #2: Get deal by looking for man who violates rule #1.
excellent!!!!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 AM
interwoven
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paying cash is better.

However having said that.....

It's not to late today but it darn may be tomorrow as no one is guaranteed tomorrow will come for them.

When your laying in the hospital dying you can brag about how you never got to ride that Harley you wanted to but boy you saved a couple thousand dollars. We'll write the check and toss it in the hole with ya.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

nothing worse than making payments on vehicle that you can't afford to maintain. making that payment instead of replacing the tires. making payment instead of replacing all the **** that breaks and rattles off. cash is king credit has ruined this country and made pencil pushers invisible untraceable thieves. whack another zero off our money you little pigs.. mr madoff would be proud of you.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 AM
temp190
Novice
Default pay cash

if u pay cash, u can find a 10000 bike for 8000 or less, or a 8000 bike for 6000 or less, ride it for year or couple years, when and if ur ready to move on, u can get all if not more money back. i bought another 2002 sportster in 2009 for 2500 cash, rode it 1 1/2 years sold it for 3600(thats better than any 2% investment). just went and bought 1997 fatboy 16,000 miles with 1000.00's in chrome goodies on it. brand new e3's 80 twisted spoke wheels, etc. ive gave 5200.00. thats not counting the 1100 i made off the sportster.(i did drive 3 1/2 hrs one way for it but well worth it) i bought my first harley in 95 at age of 20. went got a loan cuz i just had to have it. broke my ankle and off work for 3 months, then turned around and rebroke ankle, off another 3 months, got it repoed, had to borrow money from my mom to get it back,(didnt want repo on credit). its ur money and ur life so do what makes u happy, just be carefull and good luck.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Originally Posted by garand
Have you tried both? Using and not using credit? For myself I haven't used credit in over a year and my score is still almost 800. My Chaplain hasn't used credit in 4 years and also has excellent credit. I guess what I've been reading and DOING isn't true. Believe what you want and continue to systematically remain in debt. We left our accounts open. My other battle buddy, a Master Sergeant has no revolving accounts and his score is 740, which is lower but still considered excellent. We often joke about people who buy into "buying" a high score. He pulled up his credit report in the office and showed me the notice posted on his report that he has a lower score due to not having a major credit card. It's funny.
I am just talking about a person who is building and trying to establish credit.

Yes the whole FICO thing is a joke and the banks want people to be broke and in debt.

A millionaire who pays cash for everything could have a lower score than a guy who makes $50,000 per year and finances everything he owns.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmetal415
before i can pay cash i have to wait 6 more months damn sucks
Yep,the only thing wrong with instant gratification is it takes too long.

Grow up.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,067 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Sad stuff I'm reading in here , everything is about new and shiny anymore . What ever happened to being an individual and picking up a decent used bike and then actually customizing it into something personal instead of bolt on bling like every other monkey in the world does ? And you all wonder why everyone gets in a nit when somebody says there are no bikers anymore .

Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to see people on this forum don't judge each other. We all have opinions, and I guess since th OP didn't really have a direct question, we all figure that he wanted to be lectured on the right thing to do. Some people say only cash, so that would make this forum about half the size that it is, and harley might go under, because at least half the people that buy new bikes borrow the money to do it. Also, not everyone wants to buy a used bike, same as not everyone wants to buy a new bike. The big question is: why do you guys care? It should be enough that we all have a passion for our bikes and this hobby. One thing if a guy can't keep a roof over his family's head because he wanted a shinny new bike, but other then that, who cares what he has or how he got it.
To the OP: If you want a bike right now, buy what you can afford cash, or wait for a while and save more cash and/or get a loan when you can. Just make sure you have enough money left over to eat and I'm sure you'll be happy.