General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMMIT i couldn't get Harley from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
For the "must pay cash crowd"..
If I finance my bike at 1% (promo rate), and invest the $10k at a 2% (conservative) return instead. How does paying cash possibly make sense?
There is a certain satisfaction in holding the title.. to a motorcycle, a car & the house. I found no such satisfaction in worrying about investments.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
508DieHard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you im 22 and was in the same boat but paying for your bike straight cash with no worries is the way to go makes you feel like a mack id look at a used low mile bike let some idiot take the loss driving it off the lot

Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
blackmetal415
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i can save more but damn was looking forward to putting this little honda aside and i dont want to put money in it.

i will save and i guess will see if i can with one last dealer if not used it is i will be probably looking at FXR's on c list

Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy-O
You are so much better off buying a used bike with cash. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. There are lots of recent model, low mile bikes on craigslist that people can't afford to keep. Many letting them go for whatever the owe on the loan. or less.
Got mine with 3k miles on it, bunch of accessories already installed, and saved a ton of cash.
When I told my dad what I got and what I paid for it - he asked what's wrong with it. There are good deals out there...

Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My .02.

1-Man needs credit, and needs A-1 credit.
2- Man needs toys
3- Man should save 1/2 or so and go to dealer and see if they will finance then.
4- #3 should help take care of #1 and #2.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daddy-O's rules for toy buying:

Rule #1: Man should not buy what man can not afford.
Rule #2: Get deal by looking for man who violates Rule #1.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodnbow
It's not.

(climbs up on soapbox)

You're much better off paying cash for ANY vehicle. Yes, sometimes that means waiting or driving vehicles for which others have paid depreciation but that's actually a good thing. I'm 58 years old and I've used credit to by two vehicles in my lifetime, neither was worth much when I finished paying for them.

Lenders, dealers and others who stand to profit from their relationship with you will tell you "You deserve this motorcycle, (car, tv, whatever,) right now! Don't Wait! You DESERVE IT!"

But that's not true. They're telling you a lie you want to believe, the easiest sale in the history of mankind. You deserve whatever you can afford right now with the cash in your pocket... The whole reason our country is in the shape it's currently in is that far too many people believed the lie and signed on the dotted line. That's it.

(climbing down from soapbox) Good luck...
I couldn't have said it better.

Now for the other references about financing at 1% vs. investing at 2%. The bottom line is your paychecks aren't tied up in paying back a loan when you pay cash. It's a one time transaction...done and over with. When you pay cash you are free from a monthly payment. Invest that much per month, so when storm clouds come you won't have to sell the bike or worry about making payments. You can press pause on investing until the sky is clear again instead of worrying about payments. The same goes for saving for a bike: 1st, have money for emergency savings. (3-6 months expenses) Then while you're saving for your bike if something comes up you can press pause on saving, execute the emergency plan, then resume saving without skipping a beat. Or you can be like the other handful of guys on here trying to sell their bikes for what they still owe because, "Gotta kid on the way." Most end up losing what they've paid, plus what they've put into accessories. I'm not better than anyone else. I'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT! Save some cash and you will be the next to scoop up someone's baby that thought they could afford it.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, forget about credit. Do a little research; people are doing more damage trying to "Buy" a number. (Credit Score) That way they can borrow more money and dig a bigger hole someday. Forget about buying that number and worry about building wealth so you won't have to worry about that number anymore. A person making 15K/year living in a trailer and living paycheck to paycheck can have excellent credit. Good credit isn't an achievement. People that brag about it are basically saying, "I love debt and paying to use other people's money!"

Later.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 08 street bob with low miles and accessories for a really good price. I am 26 and have always saved money to buy what I want. Pickups, bikes, etc. I have never had a loan for anything. Now me and my fiance are looking to buy a house and we dont have a chance in hell at getting a loan. Were hard working and make good money but that dosent make a f&%# to banks or realtors. I have had to get a credit card and use it for everything just in the hopes that I might have credit one of these days.
The more dept you're in the better you are in life now. Long gone are the values that alot of us believe in.
Even if you have the cash to pay for it I would say try and get a loan for it anyways, if you're young you NEED CREDIT.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
For the "must pay cash crowd"..
If I finance my bike at 1% (promo rate), and invest the $10k at a 2% (conservative) return instead. How does paying cash possibly make sense?
1% on 10K ain't much. certainly having the clear title in hand is worth more than $100.

Quick Reply: DAMMIT i couldn't get Harley from dealer