General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can any lawyers on here chime in with an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Damn guys not even Cal. is that boondoggled . Good luck .
In Cali if you get caught doing 100+ it's automatic "Do not pass go, go directly to jail" and your bike or car impounded.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
In Cali if you get caught doing 100+ it's automatic "Do not pass go, go directly to jail" and your bike or car impounded.
It's the same here...if they are speeding 40+ they lose their license and the vehicle is impounded and they get major fines..I agree with this.....the laws are in place for a reason...however, the cops aren't just targetting the law breakers, they are targetting motorcyclists period. There is no differentiating, so much as the cops are concerned we're all the same.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,070 Likes on 17,937 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Triple digits that's a given anywhere I've ever been but the Autobahn , LOL . Over there 100+ is the right lane .

Old 05-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Ramona
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dino........live in Ladysmith, and have a lawyer friend in Nanaimo who is also a long time rider. Will forward your post to him.....good heads up.

Nanaimo had three bike officers...may be more now, but they were for the most part, very poor riders!

Was fun to follow them when they were training.....hope they didn't have handlebar mounted tazers......

Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
It's the same here...if they are speeding 40+ they lose their license and the vehicle is impounded and they get major fines..I agree with this.....the laws are in place for a reason...however, the cops aren't just targetting the law breakers, they are targetting motorcyclists period. There is no differentiating, so much as the cops are concerned we're all the same.
This is one of those things that can be argued for ever. I'm not
well versed in absolute law, so anything I would say is questionable.
I would ask you this, do you disapprove of them making users of
the road follow the law? We have checkpoints over here (here
being Buffalo) and many have claimed there illegal, to no avail. But.
last May, we had over eleven fatalities for bike riders and their
passengers, most had no license, no insurance, and most DWI.
No one wants that kind of driver-rider amongst us. Do you want
them on the road your father,mother, daughter, son or even you
to have to face. The other part of the checks is for things
such as loud pipes, bald tires, no inspection, registration and such,
again, whats wrong with that. If you and I ride legal, why not everyone?
I've paid for speeding and learned to either ride within or pay to play.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,835 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Ultimately legal or not, it's an open door for any cop to harass any bike once this spreads, ( and it has been, slowly but consistently,)

A special thanks to all those idiots with open pipes that have to prove how loud their bikes are in quiet neighborhoods.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It looks to me like they are just doing their jobs. I think all speeders should be caught.

In Ontario I believe the crush the vehicle if you are double the posted limit. Then they show it on the evening news. Mostly turner cars though.

It is easy to avoid. Entirely in the operators control. Obey the limit. Keep the stock pipes on and you can ride until your time on earth is over.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
{snip} Riders with illegal or improper equipment and bikes with mufflers that emit sound louder than the legal limit of 91 decibels will face fines and ispection notices to have equipment repaired and illegal mufflers removed.
{snip}
They tried to propose identical legislation here in Maine recently. The legislation was shot down because there are no facilities setup to measure DBs correctly. The Maine State Police themselves testified that this law would be a major PITA for them. Maine recently had a change in political power with a swing to the right and some of the heat on riders is starting to slack off some. Perhaps with Harper's victory you Canadian riders will start getting some breaks too. I will be on guard though if I ride in to Quebec ( whoses cops have their own hardass rep ) or New Brunswick this season. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Speed limit here on the big slab is 65...if you are going 105...you go to the pokey.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Default Driving on public roads is a privilege?

I see a number of posters in this thread have pointed this out. I am not sure if this is the case where the crackdown is taking place.

As far as in the U.S. yes that is the popular belief. One branch of the government has indeed ruled that driving on public is not a right but a privilege. There was no real outcry when the government decided this to be the case.

Will there be an outcry the next time the government decides that something the citizens do is not a right? Is walking down the street a privilege? What will be the next right to be downgraded to privilege status?

Michael

Quick Reply: can any lawyers on here chime in with an opinion