General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you live in ct.. i do not want to be on the same roads with a guy that thinks he is "going down". spend the money on riding lessons before you hurt yourself or one of us.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I wear when it's cool.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:10 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

My Fox Creek Bomber is a great jacket. Best value in a leather jacket, I've seen, but the friggin thing weighs like 9 pounds and makes my shoulders cramp up when I ride any good distance, so lately I've just been wearing a canvas jacket, much like your Carhartt, or my N3B-style parka. Not as protective as leather, but more comfortable to ride in (for me) than leather...

Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i stick to the old army field jacket them new leathers are to $$$$ for me and dont like the looks of them . heck i,ll dig out my old leather looks better then the new ones .

Old 05-07-2011, 12:50 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-Mike

So, what leathers do you all recommend?
Personally, I like Vanson. I started with a FirstGear which I outgrew and got tired of the zipper getting stuck, the vents never closing properly, etc. I decided to buy a quality jacket. Was recommended FoxCreek, so I order a jacket (exchanged it a few times due to sizing), but ultimately ended up giving up on F.C. due to fit and the final jacket smelled like death. Got a Harley brand jacket but was never satisfied with the fit or finish (leather was thin and it bunched up on me on the bike). Decided that it came down to either Vanson or Langlitz. Decided to order a Langlitz as a graduation present for finishing grad school. Received the Langlitz and was totally unimpressed. I know lots of guys like them, but I just couldn't see that the jacket was worth the hefty price tag (sent it back and got a refund). Called Vanson as a last attempt at getting a quality leather, they said they just finished a run of the Highwayman jacket. My local leather shop was willing to order in a few for sizing, and I bought mine (size 44) on the spot. The Vanson is amazing. Fits perfect, offers tons of protection, smells wonderful (like rich leather), and had ample storage and a serial number for identification. If you're willing to spend a few bucks (Vansons are around $500-650) I don't think that you'll be disappointed with a Vanson. Course if they have to make you a jacket it takes forever.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:11 PM
CT-Mike
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
glad you live in ct.. i do not want to be on the same roads with a guy that thinks he is "going down". spend the money on riding lessons before you hurt yourself or one of us.
Wow, thanks for the input. You must be one of those perfect bikers I have heard about who has never had an accident on their bike. I don't plan on going down, but am enough of a realist to know that it probably will happen at some point.

Do me a favor and take your holier than thou attitude and go **** on someone else's thread.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
captaincaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
I love my two jackets from Branded Leathers in LIC, NY. Very heavy, excellent zippers and stitching. The make the jackets for NYPD and LAPD mounted units.

www.800branded.com
yup, what he said

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Myself and the wife wear Langlitz Jackets and Pants.

In the summer Vanson Vent Max and heavy jeans

Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear an Icon jacket. Very well made and reasonably affordable.
I've had my plain black Motorhead jacket for several years and it works great for any temperature I ride in. It is the only full leather jacket I have owned that is comfortable to ride in when the temps hit the mid 90's. For myself, a huge benefit is it has no collar so it doesn't restrict my neck movement.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:39 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I went through a TourMaster in a year and a half.

It was cheap, had armor, a warm lining, and was fairly water/windproof. Was happy with the purchase at the time.

But, like most things made in China, you see the value of the purchase in about a year. It just plum wore out. Some zippers busted, the armor pockets busted and let the armor slide around, the fabric got brittle from sun exposure, etc. Oh, well. Some things I could have fixed, but the whole thing just started going to crap all at once.

I did end up getting another leather jacket, but a nice in-between is a Duluth Trading Co. jacket in their "firehose" canvas. It's meant for riding--good, long sleeves, zip cuffs, fully lined (too warm for summer, but great for cool days), and while not treated for waterproofness, the canvas weave is so tight that it is. No armor, but it's the slide that gets you anyway, not the impact.

For less than the price of a TourMaster, the Duluth jacket is a far better value, IMO.

A *good* leather jacket, though, can't be beat.

Quick Reply: Jackets