General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ear plugs in my jeep also when on the highway. Mud tires and wind noise at speed. I also use ear plugs for wind noise when I am on either of my bikes if I am wearing anything else on my head but my full face..
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I duno, just my 0.02 but it kinda seems like if you're having to use "Ear Baffles" to make your pipes acceptable to you, your purpose in having a loud exhaust isn't for the "quality" of the sound. If it were, you wouldn't be using ear plugs . . . .right? So it must be to annoy the folks around you who do not have ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, my pipes are not quiet by any means. I have V&H BSLs, but I use just enough baffling so that I don't need ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing and giving me a headache after a bit of a ride.

There are more folks who vote that don't have bikes than those who do. Don't want to **** off too many non-bikers, it won't be good for us.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I'll idle out of my neighborhood at 7AM every morning. EZ to get it into 2nd/3rd till I escape my neighbors. After that, each to his own!
That's bull ****! take it quiet in your neighborhood and F*** mine.
I'll figure out a way to get even.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by BearNVa
I just installed de baffled V&H Short Shots Staggered and when I started it for the first time 2 people told me it was too loud... how many are running these pipes de baffled and are they too loud???? Also is it gonna hurt the bike without a fuel management retune for a day until my V&H Fuelpak arrives? The bike is brand new and has 200 miles on it.
1. If U think they're loud now, de-baff will be louder.

2. No. unless U put a high-flow A/C on.

3. U really don't need the FP just for pipes.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
broken.skull
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running VH Short Shots on mine no problem. I dont think they are too loud either, they are just right. I had the stock exhaust and I couldnt ever really hear the engine...it was always a dull dull rumble.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I use ear plugs to keep the wind from whistling through my empty skull

Don't get rid of your stock pipes. It won't be long now that the politburo will be mandating gestapo like checkpoints to make sure every one is running DOT stamped exhausts. If people with loud pipes would just keep out of the throttle in high population density areas, we wouldn't have this problem....

Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldMike
Loud pipes is the reson behind the loud pipe laws ...
Ya' think?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I duno, just my 0.02 but it kinda seems like if you're having to use "Ear Baffles" to make your pipes acceptable to you, your purpose in having a loud exhaust isn't for the "quality" of the sound. If it were, you wouldn't be using ear plugs . . . .right? So it must be to annoy the folks around you who do not have ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, my pipes are not quiet by any means. I have V&H BSLs, but I use just enough baffling so that I don't need ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing and giving me a headache after a bit of a ride.

There are more folks who vote that don't have bikes than those who do. Don't want to **** off too many non-bikers, it won't be good for us.
+1
I agree 100%.
You want loud pipes to make sure we hear them, but you will wear ear plugs so you don't have to hear them...
I think some how there is something wrong with that..

Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Even a stock HD exhaust sounds like a Harley Davidson. I HEAR alot of after-market exhausts on HD's that sound like crap. Straight pipes don't sound near as good as stock exhausts so. Loud yes, Impressive no. Why do people think loud and obnoxious is always better?