General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget your ear plugs. You want to be able to hear the pipes for years to come!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BearNVa
Well after the first ride with the new pipes.... they are loud but sound awesome!!!!! My neighbors are gonna hate me when I leave during the week for work @ 6:30am
Keep it to a dull roar when you leave home and they should be fine. If you rev it up that early you bring the hate on yourself. Then again I live on a fighter plane base, maybe I've just gotten used to those loud rascals taking off with full afterburner at all hours. lol

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
Don't forget your ear plugs. You want to be able to hear the pipes for years to come!
Ear plugs are probly a good idea. Wind noise with a half helmet seams to be more of a problem for me after "cruising" at (or well above) the speed limit for several hours. Could be a combination of both...but without ear plugs and the full face helmet I've ridden faster and longer duration without my ears ringing at the end of the day.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Guess it all depends on what you're used to. I had my chopper for a few years before I got my NT so the short shots don't seem so loud compared to the pipes on the other bike. I wear my ear plugs for the wind noise, not the pipes.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I duno, just my 0.02 but it kinda seems like if you're having to use "Ear Baffles" to make your pipes acceptable to you, your purpose in having a loud exhaust isn't for the "quality" of the sound. If it were, you wouldn't be using ear plugs . . . .right? So it must be to annoy the folks around you who do not have ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, my pipes are not quiet by any means. I have V&H BSLs, but I use just enough baffling so that I don't need ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing and giving me a headache after a bit of a ride.

There are more folks who vote that don't have bikes than those who do. Don't want to **** off too many non-bikers, it won't be good for us.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
frankiefire702
Road Master

Put in a set of big city thunder monster baffles. Youll be happy.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
jarhead59
Tourer

No such thing as a Harley that is too loud.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the de-baffled V&H short shots. They are very loud and almost like an explosion when I hit the starter. I have mentioned to my riding friends that they are too loud and they tell me they are fine and not to change them out to stock pipes. I am in a quandary as to what to do. Too loud, not loud enough, too loud, not loud enough. what to do, what to do? I have been directed to the back of the pack on occasion because my bagger music riding friends can't hear there tunes and I can live with that. Forgot to mention, I have over 45,000 miles on the Deuce and it has never had a tuner installed. Still runs like a top. Picking up my Deuce this afternoon from my Indy. Having the Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Cam Tensioner kit installed. Preventative maintenance only.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 05-05-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I duno, just my 0.02 but it kinda seems like if you're having to use "Ear Baffles" to make your pipes acceptable to you, your purpose in having a loud exhaust isn't for the "quality" of the sound. If it were, you wouldn't be using ear plugs . . . .right? So it must be to annoy the folks around you who do not have ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, my pipes are not quiet by any means. I have V&H BSLs, but I use just enough baffling so that I don't need ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing and giving me a headache after a bit of a ride.

There are more folks who vote that don't have bikes than those who do. Don't want to **** off too many non-bikers, it won't be good for us.
Yep, I agree

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by petom
Just don't rack 'em off in front of cops, or in your own neighborhood at 4:30 am.
I'll idle out of my neighborhood at 7AM every morning. EZ to get it into 2nd/3rd till I escape my neighbors. After that, each to his own!

Quick Reply: Too loud?