General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006 | 08:10 AM
Denbo
|
Tourer
Default Jiffy Stand Spring

Has any body put a return spring on a jiffy stand ? I have heard that if you bend the spring and put pennies between the coils it would strech it so it can be put on the frame and the stand.Any other advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2006 | 08:43 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Spring

Here ya go buddy CHECK HERE

Old 10-25-2006 | 08:56 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

Dawg has good advice on a Touring or Softail jiffy spring, the Dyna's are a little more involved since they connect to the frame under the bike as well as the jiffy stand. I had to remount the spring on my FXD earlier this summer and here's the process with the coins, (although I used small steel washers) in the spring windings: https://www.hdforums.com/m_689408/tm.htm

By the way, it worked great and took about 10 minutes.

Good luck.

D'

Old 10-25-2006 | 09:12 AM
Denbo
|
Tourer

Thanks to both of you guy's,dglide04 I couldn't help but wonder if you just used a regular spring instead of a conventional jiffy(kickstand) spring.

Old 10-25-2006 | 09:14 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior

Good advice guys! I learned something today, can I go back to bed now or do I still have to go to work?

Old 10-25-2006 | 09:17 AM
Denbo
|
Tourer

Sorry but off to work you must go.

Old 10-25-2006 | 10:10 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

My buddy's spring fell off on the road yesterday. He went and bought a new one and put it on. I didn't ask him how he got it back on. I went out and looked at mine to see how it is attached. It is barely hanging on by the skin of it's teeth. No wonder it comes off. Has anyone modified the spring or the connection to the frame to provide a better attachment point than the little metal post that the spring barely hangs on to?

2006 FXDLI

Old 10-25-2006 | 06:00 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Denbo

Thanks to both of you guy's,dglide04 I couldn't help but wonder if you just used a regular spring instead of a conventional jiffy(kickstand) spring.
The spring you see in the photos is actually the original spring that um, "fell off" one day when I took the bike into the garage over a lock that sticks up from the floor, it got stretched a bit and disconnected from the frame nub. All I had to do was put it back on, no damage to the frame or spring and it's been on tight ever since.

I think it took me longer to find the easiest way to put it back on that actually do it. FWIW, this is one area where the Service Manual is of NO help.

Old 10-26-2006 | 10:42 AM
Denbo
|
Tourer

The last time I did it I took off the entire kickstand to put the spring on,I knew there was an easier method.And your right the shop manual is useless on this subject.

Old 10-26-2006 | 12:14 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

i usually carry an extra in my saddlebag. my RK is lowered 2 inches and it's easy to drag the spring off. to replace i lean the bike over on a jackstand under the rear floorboard and grasp the spring hook with visegrips and use a long screwdriver as a prybar to stretch. never thought of using some sort of spacer to lengthen the spring. it's a good idea to keep a bungie cord with you so if you lose the spring you can secure the stand up so you can get home. LOL. good old shade tree engineering at it's best.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Spring