General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will dealers take metrics on trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Will dealers take metrics on trade in?

Got feedback from dealer. They have a metric dealer that'll take my trade off their hands so they'll give me about 57% of my purchase price for the bike. Doing a little digging on this that seems more or less fair. Its not a fast mover, even in the metric community, so thinking I'll take the deal. I'm getting money for the trade, and eliminating time and effort I'd have to take to sell it myself.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:29 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sjef

I traded my 99 Honda Shadow and got more for it than I paid 6 months previously. I guess it all depends on the dealer.
Or it all depends on how much they jacked up the price of the Harley, just like car stealers do on a trade.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for me it was likek $500

Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded one of my sportbikes in when I got my RK. I knew exactly what it was worth and they gave me that without so much as a peep. Of course, since then they've seen me for close to another $6000 in chrome and service, and both of us know they're not done with me yet.
The HD dealerships in my area have loads of used metrics on their floors. For anyone who wants a low-mileage, like new metric cruiser, that's where to go. They all came from slow learners that believed originally that owning a metric was the same as havin' a Harley.

CN

Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

One of the Detroit area HD Dealers ALSO OWNS A METRIC Powersports store.

So they take anything. ATVS, Jet Skis, Metrics, trailers...

They will be the largest HD dealer in the country next year (square footage wise). Moving into a vacant Sam's Club building.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I think Beagle1 hit the point here, the dealers that will take metrics typically have a place to send them. Chandler HD here in AZ for example is owned by the same guy/dealer that owns the Town n Country motorsports, YSA Motorsports, as well as HD of Tucson and Arrowhead HD (plus a few out of state). So worst case they can offload them to the metric dealers. Other dealers might take it just to get more people in the door, ie. people find out that XX HD sells used metric bikes, so some people will go to check them out and maybe get worked into a new HD in the process! Plus my personal experience with the different dealers, the HD salespeople are typically friendlier than the metric dealers I've been too.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

That price seems a little steep on the Springer, especially since I heard from a salesman buddy of mine that the moco have told their dealers (in OH at least) if they have any 06's left after the end of Oct, it comes out of their 07 allocation. Dealer here is giving $2500 off msrp on some 06's.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 AM
rrockefe
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

That price seems a little steep on the Springer, especially since I heard from a salesman buddy of mine that the moco have told their dealers (in OH at least) if they have any 06's left after the end of Oct, it comes out of their 07 allocation. Dealer here is giving $2500 off msrp on some 06's.

[sm=exactly.gif] That's what I was thinking. Other than Ultras, there seems to be a lot of 06s available and with reduced prices.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

My dealer will even take boats in trade. Best bet is to check the websites of the dealers and find out. A lot will take Metrics in trade as they are always looking for new office furniture to use

Old 10-28-2006, 03:24 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Update: Dealer took my metric. They called around and found a dealer who would move it for them. Offered me a number that fell between KBB trade and retail. I figure that's fair. I'd have had to do the legwork to sell it myself. Likely I would not have got full retail value. Plus, my free time is more valuable.