General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else think "Hugh" is a.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:35 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone else think "Hugh" is a.........

ORIGINAL: Mathews2

This guy has created a job for himself, he gets to go to Bike rallies, hang out with custom builders, be they good or bad, be well known to the entire motorcycle industry, and make a butt load of money doing it.
Who cares what he looks like, he has done what 99 percent of would probably like to be doing. Pretty damned smart if you ask me.

It just seems to me, that folks attack people for figuring out how to do what 99 percent of us wish we had done. But hey, that just MHO

Fire Away

Well said

Old 10-25-2006, 11:48 AM
waterman7474
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbe

Now instead of just producing, he is trying to act and be visable in each show. My 2 cents, go back to producing!!!
i guess this is more what i have an issue with. before i put this up there, i went to the DISC channel website and read his bio. he's pretty much a poser and trying to put himself infront of the camera. they try and pad the bio to make it look like he's all about the "motor" but it's a pretty weak attempt. i think it's the persona he's trying to portray that is so ovbiously forced that bugs me. that bugs me when ANYONE does that for that matter. it's all contrived. i think he's exactly the guy that whole "are you a biker" post should call into question.

BIO

i know one or two people that produce shows and/or movies and its not nearly as glamorous as it sounds.

yeah, he's sucessful, but so are a lot of us and that doesn't mean i have a smoke filled bio on the web. and yeah, i watched the show but it Tivo'd and there wasn't anything else on and i was done picking my nose!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: waterman7474
yeah, he's sucessful, but so are a lot of us and that doesn't mean i have a smoke filled bio on the web. and yeah, i watched the show but it Tivo'd and there wasn't anything else on and i was done picking my nose!!!
I don't have any reason to defend this "Chopper King" fella...I even agree that he funny lookin'...but so am I! [&:]

I don't, however, see where your assertion that his bio is "smoke filled". He has a background in producing video. He, like a lot of us, has a like for all thing powered by internal combustion. What's smokey about that?

As for showing up in this season's BBO shows, he's in maybe 1% of each episode...what's the big deal? [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
rigidpanman
Novice

yea,he`s a goober and he needs a ****in haircut too.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

He has done alot for those unknown bike builders, weather you like him or not

Old 10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
waterman7474
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

He has done alot for those unknown bike builders, weather you like him or not
yeah, your right, i don't have a problem admitting that. trust me, the difference between myself and most poeple that pick on people is that i will be the first one to make fun of myself and admit that the reason for this is mostly self reflection/displacement. i'm ok with that.

having said that, i still think he's kind of a goober.

and as far as his bio is concerned, his "love affair with all things combustion" and all the other stuff is put in there to make him look more like a motorhead, not the AV geek that he is and to make it look like the show wasn't drummed up by some suit in a corp office somewhere who has never been on a bike (and yes, i was a scrawny geek in HS too). said love affair, didn't get him here. he had a great idea about a show and ran with the concept.

Willie G, that's a love affair. Arlen Ness, that's a love affair. Carol Shelby, that's a love affair. Ron Howard, that's a love affair. Emeril Laggassi, that's a love affair. you get the point.

but that bio is a PR fluff piece. plain and simple.

like saying my "love affair with all things Sandwich as a kid" is the reason why i own 5 very successful Jason's Deli franchises, with a contract for 8 more.

huge difference.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
waterman7474
Road Master

and, thankfully, i really haven't had anything serious to bitch about in a while. to i thought i'd take a swipe at something.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total *** clown-- IMHO yes
done a lot for unkown bikers ----yes, he has gained a lot from it though. good for them, all of them.
Most of those builders -- Tools IMHO
Me -- tool in y'all's opinion who cares

I know what you mean about contrived though. I hate fakeness. I would rather ride a stock looking bike than those uncomfortale looking "choppers" anyday if it were my only bike. Don't get me wrong I would love a chopper. But I take my lunch to work and couldn't fit my fat *** much less my lunch on those bikes. I guess I could skip a few meals and be a little more cozy on one of those bikes [&:]

Now for my Hi jack are those 12.5 chubbys if so post up a few more pics.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

I talked to Hugh King for about 20 minutes when they shot the episode that ended in Albuquerque. Yeah he's kind of geeky, and doesn't strike me as knowing very much about the nuts and bolts, but he is passionate about what he is doing, and he appreciates the artistry, and is frustrated by the prima donnas (Jesse R?), and also frustrated by having to fight for the show every season even though it continues to make money for Discovery. If he wants to pretend that he is a biker, well he isn't the only person doing that.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: waterman7474

and as far as his bio is concerned, his "love affair with all things combustion" and all the other stuff is put in there to make him look more like a motorhead, not the AV geek that he is and to make it look like the show wasn't drummed up by some suit in a corp office somewhere who has never been on a bike (and yes, i was a scrawny geek in HS too). said love affair, didn't get him here. he had a great idea about a show and ran with the concept.

Willie G, that's a love affair. Arlen Ness, that's a love affair. Carol Shelby, that's a love affair. Ron Howard, that's a love affair. Emeril Laggassi, that's a love affair. you get the point.

but that bio is a PR fluff piece. plain and simple.

like saying my "love affair with all things Sandwich as a kid" is the reason why i own 5 very successful Jason's Deli franchises, with a contract for 8 more.

huge difference.
I still don't see how you can make that judgement. YOU (ok, neither do I ) don't know the guy. Have you ever talked to him?

I've been a gear head my entire life. I worked in the auto parts and service industries for a decade plus before I switched to easier money in the IT field. IF I was the co-producer of BBO, my bio would read some what like King's. After all, I'll bet he didn't write it himself. Isn't all "PR" just fluff?

Just because he hasn't contributed to the "biker" (there's that word again! [&:]) scene all his life doen't mean he's less a part of it now.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else think "Hugh" is a.........