General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were making a Harley commercial...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Play off the Victory commercial where they give you $100 for a test ride, say something like use that $100 to get a real motorcycle, then cut to a picture of a Harley

Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm not sure, but i can tell you it involves marisa miller....
You have a brilliant career in marketing ahead of you!

"HD - now with more Marissa Miller."

Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Very simple--- Helmet cam going thru Deals Gap past Killboy and other photo spotters as they take your picture. Of course you got to have lould rock paying the background. Have the sound of the camera click and then show the bike and rider. Do this 5 or 6 times.

Oh-- and don't forget the skanky chicks.

PM me as to where to mail my check for the "consulting fees"

Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a couple ideas...

Serious commercial: Fade in on a business man talking on a phone in his office high up overlooking the city. He's stressed and the person on the other end can just be heard but is very heated. Cut to a shot outside the same building and now the sounds of the city can be heard. Cut to a shot of gridlock in the city. Sounds of traffic now cresendo and other city sounds (horns, shouts, bells, screetching tires, blarring music, etc. Idea being that as the cuts progress the sounds layer on top of one another.) can be heard. Cut to a scene of a mother, her kids acting up in the SUV, filling her tank and showing the pump's pricing rising over $80 with no slowing. Cut to a shot of the freeway on the edge of the city with nothing but brake lights, more horns, more shots of frustrated drivers sitting in traffic. The shot then pans to the left, away from the city to a winding road running just parrallel to the freeway. It is seperated from the hustle and bussle of the city by a wide swatch of greenery on either side. As the camera pans the city noises fade away into nothing more than the sound of the wind and exhaust note of a Harley. The camera continues to pan and slowly zoom in on the source of the sound, a lone rider on his Harley Davidson, the name clearly seen on the tank as the camera moves in closer. By now the city sounds are totally gone and it's just the soothing exhaust note and gentle wind noise that they hear. The rider is relaxed in his half helmet and the viewers are allowed to see the scereen expression and the slight grin on his face. The rider slyly breaks the 4th wall, grins a bit bigger, and applies throttle to ease off camera. The camera cuts to immediately behind him as he heads off into a corner of the twisty blacktop and then the scene fades to black. Tag line: "Choose your road."

Simple. Black screen and no audio. The silence is broken by the sound of a roaring Harley as though it was riding by the listeners location but shot still remains black. Tag line fades in: "Some things need no explination." Tag line fades out...fade in Harley Davidson Bar and Shield Logo.

Hummorous: Show a city full of square, boaring, hybrid cars. Show them filling up at gas stations and taking in 15 gallons of gas. Owners are raving about how they get 40 mpg. Show electrics plugging into charging stations and folks in their proper business attire going to work and chatting about how they are happy they can recharge their cars so close to work since they have such a limited range. Then there is a Harley filling up with under 5 gallons of gas. He is looked at quizzically by a hybred owner. The hybred owner asks in a professional almost clinical fashion, "Is that all that holds?" "Yes" answers the Harley owner. "How far can you go on that?" the hybred owner asks again in a very curt and cold manner. "Wherever the road and my dreams lead...or about 250 miles...How about you?" The Harley owner answers with a calm, relaxed, and joyful demeanor. "To work..." says the hybred owner in an almost dejected manner. Cut to the Harley owner riding off away from the busy city onto a road that disappears into the distance. Tag Line: "Being ecconomical doesn't have to be boaring."

Last edited by Robotech; 05-06-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Garandman
Tourer

While are you Marketing types are planning your ads, you might be interested in the demographics of buyers, according to the company.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
dvmweb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early morning, out west. Mountain panorama. Come back onto.... Bike outside motel. Couple come out. And get ready to continue trip.

Young people. Not too pretty. Regular folks. Decent well worn clothes. Shiny but scuffed, well worn boots. Real leather jackets. Happy. Easy going. Cool.

The sound of the Harley starting. Really good recording of engine running as they leave. That's very important. Listen to the engine recordings in the HD Museum.

As they go into the distance and back to panorama, voice says, "Your Harley Davidson will take you where you need to go."

Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
While are you Marketing types are planning your ads, you might be interested in the demographics of buyers, according to the company.
I love how they break that up...

Core (Caucasian Males 35+)
Young Adults (Men and Women 18-34)
Women (Caucasian Women 35+)
Diverse customers (African-American and Hispanic males 35+)

So if you are 18-112 and Black, White, or Hispanic you are Harley's "Target Demographic"

Well damn good thing no one mentioned using your Harley in Bangkok to run your father's fish to market or showed one riding across some big Indian reservation in Montana...Thanks for narrowing it down H-D!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,141 Likes on 12,207 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
Another dead thread zombified.
Dang - I hate it when I get in early on the Resurrection.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-27-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Stupid old thread
Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
Can't say the deal is done, but my company has been approached about shooting for Harley in the very near future. One of these shoots will be a commercial.

I'm pretty set on what the shoot will involve, but I gotta ask, what makes a good harley commercial in your opinion? a bad one?

so,, I apologize, im only ready this first post in this thread,,, all I can say is come on,,, ,, does everyone jump into all these threads without askng that something sounds nuts... ive only been here for a couple months and reading more into the post last few weeks,,, buisness marketing is focus groups and buisness crap that people do while eating bagles and taking smoke breaks.. this post is left field.. no clue if Im insulting a dear friend of ll of you,,, just is nuts.,,,some of your members seem to be creative writing and I see a pattern already.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Another dead thread zombified.

Quick Reply: If you were making a Harley commercial...