General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were making a Harley commercial...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
Can't say the deal is done, but my company has been approached about shooting for Harley in the very near future. One of these shoots will be a commercial.

I'm pretty set on what the shoot will involve, but I gotta ask, what makes a good harley commercial in your opinion? a bad one?
i'm not sure, but i can tell you it involves marisa miller, naked ... beyond that, well, i haven't got that far.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
And that's a whole lot of, "I may have a 1200R, but I don't ride cruisers, I'm not part of the Harley lifestyle, and I have no idea what these guys are even talking about." You also seem to have no clue how Harley is doing in the market. "Selling to 'lifestyle' bikers isn't working"...for the top-selling motorcycle company in the country? really? Maybe they could do what Suzuki does - have less than half of Harley's market share.

Honestly...if you think the Harley subculture is even remotely like the Suzuki owners, you have no idea.
You didn't answer the question of whether or not you have ever owned any of those bikes? So how would you know? Of course the SV subculture is much different: the average age is more than 20 years lower and there are more women.

Most of the riders I know my age own Harleys - and are not lifestyle riders.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-04-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skanky chicks works for me. Gotta love 'em!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
But if HD wants to compete as a motorcycle company, and grow, they are going to have to start building bikes that appeal to younger riders. The average age of HD owners is much higher than almost any other brand. If the Army makes UAV controllers to work like PlayStation console controllers, well, HD can change too..
Unfortunately your quote from sales figures doesn't show up, but heck dude. Do a search on suzuki sales figures. Their sales are down in the U.S. also.
Yamaha has decreased in the U.S. also.

Maybe those two should start marketing to younger riders...Oh wait, they do!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LngRidr
Remember the commercial should be about motorcycles, not lifestyles.
+1. Seems to me people already know Harley for the "lifestyle."

Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,850 Likes on 2,351 Posts

SVrider has 33,000 members. This site has 165,000+ members. So, 500 new threads seems like alot of computer time and not alot of riding time.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM
helenecillie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikenut1957
How about a commercial thats starts with no music showing a guy getting ready to ride putting on his jacket. Pan down to his bike (sportster) and zoom on the engine slowly. Cut to a different person putting on a different piece of riding gear pan down to his or her bike (Dyna) zoom in slowly on the engine. Continue this with several bikes. The riders progressively getting more suited up with H-D gear. Let the audience hear their boots scrape the asphalt, their breathing (softly), the rattle of their keys, other sounds like cars on a highway in the distance, children playing in the background while one rider gets ready, birds in the trees or life going on day to day.
Now have the person on the Screamin' Eagle start the bike and slowly take off and then turn in to a beautiful sun set. Fade them out and fade in the Bar and Shield. All you hear is the bike shifting gears and fading away. No music.

Gives you chill bumps dont it?
Love it!!!!!! Great idea - sell it to some ad company!!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

"There are a lot of imitators these days (show a couple metric V-Twins parked in the background as a HD passes by), but there is only one original American made motorcycle, Harley-Davidson."

You can use your imagination on what scene you want to use for who and where the rider is going may it be a highway or the nightly strip. Good luck and looking forward to any HD tv commerical.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just rip off that video with the old Japanese riders.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ya gotta have pirates in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAiyiu7R_tI

Quick Reply: If you were making a Harley commercial...