General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrying a spare battery for cpap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carrying a spare battery for cpap

I know quite a few guys use cpap machines so I'd like to throw out a question.

I'll be doing some primitive camping over the Memorial Day weekend and I have a sealed battery that will power my machine the whole weekend without recharging. The battery is about the size and weight of a bike battery.

I've been thinking about the best way of carrying it on the bike. I've thought about checking the army surplus store for some sort of bag to carry it in, rather than just dropping it into a saddlebag. Before I re-invent the wheel, I thought I would check to see if anybody else has already solved this problem in a more clever or practical way.

(And running the machine off the bike battery isn't an option so I'm not looking for suggestions along that line.)

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too use a CPAP but didn't know you could run it off a battery. Thanks for the info. Now, to hopefully answer your question. I don't know what kind bike you have, but if you have a luggage rack, you can strap it down on that. Just get some kind of cover that it will fit in and go for it. Hope this helps. Oh, do you use a converter for the CPAP and just how do you run if off a battery? I also camp a lot, but never take the CPAP as I have no way to hook it up. Now I do. What's the secret?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I did Civil War Reenacting, I used a deep cycle marine battery hooked to an inverter to power my CPAP. I think any battery would work for a night or two.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Figstr
I too use a CPAP but didn't know you could run it off a battery. Thanks for the info. Now, to hopefully answer your question. I don't know what kind bike you have, but if you have a luggage rack, you can strap it down on that. Just get some kind of cover that it will fit in and go for it. Hope this helps. Oh, do you use a converter for the CPAP and just how do you run if off a battery? I also camp a lot, but never take the CPAP as I have no way to hook it up. Now I do. What's the secret?
My particular machine runs off AC or DC. It came with a DC power cord with a cigarette lighter plug so I don't need an inverter, just a battery that will hold enough of a charge for a night or two. I can't use the humidifier that way, but that's ok for a few nights. FWIW, I'm using the battery from an auto jumpbox.

My bike is a Road Glide with no luggage rack, just hard bags, and due to the weight of the battery I want to carry it either in a saddlebag on on the passenger seat. I guess what I'm looking for is something like a padded backpack arrangement that would hold the machine, battery, wires and maybe even a small AC charger. It would protect the saddlebag, and I could pick up the whole deal and sit it next to an outlet to recharge.

Just wondering if somebody else has done anything like that, and if so, what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Sharknose; 05-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.