General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cannot believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg56
He had just been loaded into the ambulance, and the trooper walked up to the ambulance driver, had him open the back door, and placed the ticket on my friend, who was strapped to a backboard.
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
If the crash involves a Harley rider, it is almost always the cage's fault.
If the crash involves a rice burner, it is almost always his fault.
I'm not LEO and I'm pretty sure that jbg56's buddy wasn't one of those guys, but I've seen plenty of sport bike riders that would deserve a ticket in ambulance.

Was in FL not long ago, driving up 95 in pretty good traffic going about 70. Rice burner came through splitting the lane between me and the car next to me. I'm sure he was doing near 100. He kept going, splitting lanes and weaving across 2 - 3 lanes of cars to pass. Shorts, t-shirt, no helmet and a passenger. No doubt in my mind that he's going to kill someone someday.

If he was still alive after the wreck, I'd happily give him a ticket while he's strapped to a backboard - and then slap him upside the head before I left.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
The cop is right. As you can plainly see in this video it was the bikers fault, no question., http://www.dallasnews.com/video/feat...d=917647895001
Can't believe people are saying the LEO in the OP may have a point

Last edited by twistr; 04-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
EddieBlaize
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the same cop who things the man is always at fault in a domestic violence call...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

This reminds me of when I worked for the USPS back in the 70's. They said that all accidents were preventable. They also had a rule that you could not back up a postal vehicle. In the downtown area, the had diagonal parking, so they told us to park in the middle of the street for delivery of parcel post. I got hit twice from people backing out without looking and smacking the truck in the side. I was not in the truck at either time. When the postmaster asked me how I could have prevented the accident, I told him the only way I knew is if I had not shown up for work that day. I do not know what he put on the report.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by crash101
But surprisingly he told me that all cops in this area are taught that every motorcycle accident is the riders fault! Does not matter what the circumstances are you should have anticipated anything and everything any other driver did. And I do want to stress here....alll accidents...every one of them.
if you want to use this logic, then it should apply to car accidents as well. defensive driving doesn't end when you get off the bike and into the 'cage'......

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
This reminds me of when I worked for the USPS back in the 70's. They said that all accidents were preventable. They also had a rule that you could not back up a postal vehicle. In the downtown area, the had diagonal parking, so they told us to park in the middle of the street for delivery of parcel post. I got hit twice from people backing out without looking and smacking the truck in the side. I was not in the truck at either time. When the postmaster asked me how I could have prevented the accident, I told him the only way I knew is if I had not shown up for work that day. I do not know what he put on the report.
that's good

Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

How to prevent MC vrs cage accident....
"stay home"

Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I think the only bike accidents that can't be avoided are rear enders and if an animal jumps out in front of you.
You can check your mirrors at a stop and give yourself a chance to move over in time, maybe. The video from Dallas clearly shows the rider had no chance, he did all he could but the driver in the car was not paying attention, it's obvious.
An animal pops out and you'll be lucky to avoid not hitting hit or it hitting you, all depends on the timing and chance at that exact moment.
I always ride with the mind set that it doesn't matter if traffic can see you or not....I can see them, all of them. If you can read and anticipate what's going to happen next it goes a long way to avoiding accidents.
Any one who has ever raced motorcycles in any form has a sort of built in instinct, it's hard to explain what it is, it's just there and if you have ever raced you know what I mean. Riding in traffic is easy to survive in compared to all out racing....sometimes.

Last edited by skidder; 04-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only bike accidents that can't be avoided are rear enders and if an animal jumps out in front of you.
It's a good thing you're not paid to think, you'd starve to death. How about the cager that intentionally blasts through a stop sign into oncoming traffic?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or is the rear tire of the bike in the video locked up too? It's certainly not his fault the car rear ended him, but it looks like he was about to rear end the car in front of him. Glad it appears he's OK.

Oh and back on the topic...I think the OP was a victim of mis-information. Either the way he heard it or the way the cop understood it.

Quick Reply: I cannot believe this!