General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsible trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Squee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsible trailers?

So this year I plan on getting some track days in and will be in the market for a light weight, collapsible trailer since my Tucson can only tow 1000lbs. The closest track is about 150 miles away with not a whole lot of highway. When I am not using it, I need it to be stored in a cramped garage – which is why I am looking at collapsible.

Anyway, I have these in mind and am curious if anyone has any experience and/ or suggestions before I spend the cash?

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html
http://www.bikelug.net/info.htm
http://www.portachopper.com/
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-trailers.htm
Uhaul trailer may be a bit much with the combined weight, I am not sure, they don’t post the trailer weight.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I bought the Harbor Freight folding trailer. I used it for a few years then upgraded to a real one. With the $229 for trailer, a piece of 4x8 plywood and the wheel chock, I was still under 300 bucks total. Once folded up you could wheel it right in the garage and shove it up against the wall. Used up maybe a 3 foot deep by 6 foot wide spot. The only advice I can give you if you choose the cheapo Harbor Freight folding trailer is to never loose sight of the fact they are crappy chinese trailers. They WILL NOT survive very long if left out in the elements. They are meant to be stored in a garage, When I moved to Virginia mine wound up sitting outside and in a matter of a couple years it was a rusty piece of junk. Would up selling it for $175 and bought a real trailer that can actually survive living in the elements.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would hate to put a bike on anything that's made to fold up.

But then, I avoid rides at traveling carnivals, too. I'm concerned that the guy who's putting the ride up wants to make it easy to take down at the end of the week.

I bought a HF trailer to pull behind my bike, but once I got it bolted perfectly square I welded the joints.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Squee
Cruiser

I think the stinger trailer may be at the top of my list. Looks like it is the easiest to deal with along with the fewest parts to put together. FN expensive but for what I will get out of it, should be worth it.

I've considered the HF trailer before and disregarded it because of exactly what you said - the quality. Then again for the time being, just to get me started it may be worth reconsidering.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that bike lug trailer looks kinda like the stinger

Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kendonusa.com/trailers.html

Kendon is the only way to go. Expensive, but very well made (don't buy the Chinese knockoffs sold for cheap on the net). I have had a dual bike one for years and it folds up to stand against the wall in my garage. I have never read anything bad about them.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Steer clear of those "discount" folding trailers...had one for my snowmobile years ago & it was junk. I do like the looks of that Stinger trailer though - might have to do some research. Would be nice to see one in action...

Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Kendon, but if I had no space to store it and only had to worry about one bike, I'd go with the trailer in the bag, very strong and light weight. I've seen it demo before and was impressed.

Quick Reply: Collapsible trailers?