General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charity Ride Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Charity Ride Etiquette

I am taking part in a charity ride this coming Saturday. Entry fee is $20.00 a person, for a poker run going from restaurant to restaurant, over about a 120 mile total ride.

At the end, the best poker hand gets to split whatever is taken in, in entry fees.

I told the mrs, that even should I win it, that I would feel pretty funny about taking the money. Any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charity Ride Etiquette

I don't think anyone thinks poorly if someone does accept the money. That's what the raffle is for but I do think it is nice to see people give it back.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A club meeting I once attended had a 50-50 drawing. Before the drawing I made the motion that the clubs portion go to a local charity we had just been discussing. It was voted on and passed. So who do you think won the 50 %. Right, I did. I figure I had already made my bed with my motion so that day the charity got 100%.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give it back ... not that I ever win that often. Ride organizers usually figure it's a bonus when someone gives it back. Never saw anyone who kept it get bad eye'd. Some people need it.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it's a Personal call. Seems like giving it back would be pretty cool.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

I am taking part in a charity ride this coming Saturday. Entry fee is $20.00 a person, for a poker run going from restaurant to restaurant, over about a 120 mile total ride.

At the end, the best poker hand gets to split whatever is taken in, in entry fees.

I told the mrs, that even should I win it, that I would feel pretty funny about taking the money. Any thoughts?
No worries there New.There making money,if you win take the money & buy your wife A nice dinner.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:24 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting involved in a couple of local events like that where I ride, don't feel bad about taking the money, or for that matter giving it back or buying another chance on whatever they're raffling off. Use if for a meal, gas, a shiny accessory for the bike or whatever. The sponsoring charity has made their money selling the raffle/chances so don't feel like you have to give it back, but if you want to, that's cool also.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
ultraclassic137
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mulled that same question over myself. I always thought that if I did win (NEVER have) that I would give back 1/2 of my 1/2. I guess my rational was that it would sit better in my mind that I did not keep it all. JMO

Old 10-23-2006, 10:35 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What makes it a tough decision on THIS one, is it is a Charity ride for Leukemia, and the money raised is being put towards a grant. The GRANT, is in the name of the son of a fellow Officer, who died last year at the age of 4.

I am NOT planning on winning it, and am NOT broke, so really not worried about. Was just curious what others thought about it. Personally, they advertised the drawing, so hey......if ya win it, the money is YOURS to keep. Would feel a bit funny about it tho. Maybe I'll just keep 1/2 !!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

What makes it a tough decision on THIS one, is it is a Charity ride for Leukemia, and the money raised is being put towards a grant. The GRANT, is in the name of the son of a fellow Officer, who died last year at the age of 4.

I am NOT planning on winning it, and am NOT broke, so really not worried about. Was just curious what others thought about it. Personally, they advertised the drawing, so hey......if ya win it, the money is YOURS to keep. Would feel a bit funny about it tho. Maybe I'll just keep 1/2 !!
50/50 on the 50 = Sounds good to me.

Primo

Quick Reply: Charity Ride Etiquette