General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you downshift or use your brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you downshift or use your brakes?

There is a great thread running about using a clutch while upshifting,(and I always do). It made me think about downshifting as well. When I am approaching a light, for example I gradually downshift and sometimes don't even touch my brake until I am almost stopped. Other times I use the brakes very lightly because I want my tail light to come on to warn drivers or riders behind me. I have found that my brakes last much longer than the average life span of brakes.

Of course, if I have to stop more quickly I use only the brakes.

This not only saves the brakes, but it also gives me the feeling of taking a more "active" role in controlling the bike. It also sounds great. I have never noticed or heard of downshifting damaging an engine in any way. I have done this for over 35 years on all types on vehicles including cages. I have always considered it a more advanced form of riding (and driving). I do notice many bikers not using this technique.

Your thoughts?

Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Do you downshift or use your brakes?

I do both, and I find that if I use all 3 I stop faster. On roads where I know the light timing, I'll just downshift and brake to stay rolling up to the green. Then I can take right off and not feet put down.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Both,I could really care less how long my brakes last.As long as I last longer than them,it's all good.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:58 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

I always use the clutch to upshift and down shift. I like to downshift when coming to a stop to hear the pipes sing there beautiful tune. It also saves on the brake pads.

Upshifting without the clutch can be done and if you know how to get the motor and tranny speed just right I suppose it is harmless. But if you don't have the speeds synicronized just right it puts a lot of stress on the tranny and can produce excessive wear on the gears and shifter forks. You can break a gear if you really hammer it. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always downshift (with clutch) as I'm slowing or coming to a stop. I always want to be in the correct powerband in case something unexpected comes up and I have to make a quick, unplanned maneuver.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

I guess the answer is yes, maybe, for most of the time anyway sometimes.............

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Whaap-that is an excellent point-I have always done that too for the same reason.
ORIGINAL: whaap

I always downshift (with clutch) as I'm slowing or coming to a stop. I always want to be in the correct powerband in case something unexpected comes up and I have to make a quick, unplanned maneuver.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Surfit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word[sm=biker2.gif]
ORIGINAL: whaap

Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always downshift when slowing down, got use to it on some older bikes I had. You couldn't go down through the gears once you were stopped without trying to rock the bike forward or backward. So now it's just habit.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I used to downshift but someone pointed out that a clutch replacement was a lot more expensive than periodic sets of brake pads.

Downshifting also put a reverse load on your primary chain, drive belt, and on the transmission gears, which may not be a good thing.

I still do it in the twisties but not often in street riding.

Quick Reply: Do you downshift or use your brakes?