General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you downshift or use your brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you downshift or use your brakes?

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Once again...Who says? Every Harley mechanic I spoke to disagrees with you. If you downshift properly, there is no more strain than there is on accelleration.
ORIGINAL: QT Hush

Who says it stretches chains belts etc? If downshifting stretches them, then so does acceleration. So why don't you just push the bike to save your belt?
ORIGINAL: QT Hush

Thats what you are supposed to do. I am shocked how many riders are saying they don't downshift or WONT downshift!
ORIGINAL: DI75

Both!!
It is not what you are supposed to do. That's saying that it's being done wrong if a person chooses not to downshift, when actually it's a matter of choice. Regardless, downshifting stretches chains, and belts and is hard on the sprockets.
It appears to me that the majority of the folks here do both, including me. I just don't downshift all the time, only if I feel it's necessary. Like I said, if I want to wear something out prematurely, I choose brake pads. To each his own.
This is a reply I posted yesterday that you obviously missed:" There is much greater force exerted on your drivetrain when downshifting in order to effectively slow your motorcycle than there is when accelerating in a normal manner. The force of the initial "pull" on the drivetrain when engaging the clutch in a lower gear is powerful and is detrimental to the longevity of the drivetrain components. There is no undue stress put on the motor when operated in a normal manner."
You will never convince me that downshifting is not an added strain on the drivetrain, and I will never convince you that it is, so this subject should be dropped.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. Good luck however you choose to shift!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I always downshift (with clutch) as I'm slowing or coming to a stop. I always want to be in the correct powerband in case something unexpected comes up and I have to make a quick, unplanned maneuver.
right on! brakes, clutch, tranny all can be replaced - we can't!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
ironhorse
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both for me.

Iron Horse

Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

The guys/girls that are putting the strain on the drive train are the ones who squeeze the clutch, click the tranny down a gear and let the clutch out. As soon as you squeeze the clutch lever the engine RPM's drop off so quickly that by the time you let the clutch out you get that instant drag and sometimes even lock the rear wheel up briefly. Now if you squeeze the clutch, click the tranny down a gear, BLIP THE THROTTLE, then let the clutch out the transition from a higher gear to a lower gear is so smoothe there is absolutely no strain put on the drive train at all. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right but once you do its as smoothe as butter going to a lower gear. Those of you who have mastered this technique know what I'm talking about............BG

Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

[sm=exactly.gif]What whaap said.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Ex11b
Advanced

many moons ago, i learned to ride with a motorcycle that had no brakes, and i automaticaly downshift to slow down to this day.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigGeorge---Exactly!!
ORIGINAL: BigGeorge

The guys/girls that are putting the strain on the drive train are the ones who squeeze the clutch, click the tranny down a gear and let the clutch out. As soon as you squeeze the clutch lever the engine RPM's drop off so quickly that by the time you let the clutch out you get that instant drag and sometimes even lock the rear wheel up briefly. Now if you squeeze the clutch, click the tranny down a gear, BLIP THE THROTTLE, then let the clutch out the transition from a higher gear to a lower gear is so smoothe there is absolutely no strain put on the drive train at all. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right but once you do its as smoothe as butter going to a lower gear. Those of you who have mastered this technique know what I'm talking about............BG

Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
murph3dyna
4th Gear

YEAH....What BG said

Quick Reply: Do you downshift or use your brakes?