General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you downshift or use your brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 PM
stcrider07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you downshift or use your brakes?

I do both, I feel that I have more control coming to an intersection with a red light to downshift incase something happens and I have to get out of the way so I don't get caught in a wreck or get hit in the rear. If I have to stop quickly then I will use only brakes, but if there is no need for brakes then I try not use them.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:41 AM
jmxp
Tourer

I squeeze the clutch and hold it while I downshift, but I don't let the clutch out. I stop with brakes unless it's an emergency stop in which case I'll let the clutch out for engine braking in addition to the brakes.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to downshift but someone pointed out that a clutch replacement was a lot more expensive than periodic sets of brake pads.

Downshifting also put a reverse load on your primary chain, drive belt, and on the transmission gears, which may not be a good thing.

I still do it in the twisties but not often in street riding.
It only loads up if you are downshifting to soon, what I am trying to say is if you match you RPMS correctly it is no more of a load than just letting off of the throtle. you should brake until your RPMs drop to the point that you can down shift without over reving it not only saves a bit on the brakes but keeps you in the proper gear in case you need to accelerate

Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMXP: That is the same as saying you don't downshift.
ORIGINAL: jmxp

I squeeze the clutch and hold it while I downshift, but I don't let the clutch out. I stop with brakes unless it's an emergency stop in which case I'll let the clutch out for engine braking in addition to the brakes.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 AM
jmxp
Tourer

I shift the gearbox down, as I slow down to keep the gear mated up to my speed in case I need to dee-dee-mow out of a situation, but I don't let the clutch out as I slow. So I am downshifting, just not engine braking.

J

Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Jmxp: If that is your definition of downshifting then everyone downshifts. we all have to go to a lower gear or we wouldn't be able to move again.

Downshifting (or engine braking) is using the engine to assist in slowing the bike down. If you keep in the clutch, that is not "downshifting".

Old 10-26-2006, 01:37 AM
jmxp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Jmxp: If that is your definition of downshifting then everyone downshifts. we all have to go to a lower gear or we wouldn't be able to move again.

Downshifting (or engine braking) is using the engine to assist in slowing the bike down. If you keep in the clutch, that is not "downshifting".
Ok....the difference I think would be those that don't click down as they slow instead waiting for the stop when they go from hi to low all at once.

Whatever, it's symantics at this point.

I don't use my engine to slow down. I just use my brakes to slow.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh. I see what you mean now. You have the appropriate gear ready to engage in case you need it. Gotcha!

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Ok....the difference I think would be those that don't click down as they slow instead waiting for the stop when they go from hi to low all at once.

Whatever, it's symantics at this point.

I don't use my engine to slow down. I just use my brakes to slow.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Ya, me too. You always want to be near the right gear. Hey, that's like a rhyme. I also find most tranny's move down better a notch at a time than all at once ...

Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I shift the gearbox down, as I slow down to keep the gear mated up to my speed in case I need to dee-dee-mow out of a situation, but I don't let the clutch out as I slow. So I am downshifting, just not engine braking.

J
That's what I do. My feeling is that engine braking is a throwback to the day of weak brakes and non-synchronized transmissions.

When I first started riding in the early 60's you had to downshift-brake, particularly going downhill as your brakes would heat up and fade. And you were in trouble if you stopped in anything lower than 2nd cause it was bitch getting back to 1st

Quick Reply: Do you downshift or use your brakes?