General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rally Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non Rally Trailering

OK, we have the ressurected thread about trailering to a rally. Let me throw a different scenario out.

The bike I have now has never been on a trailer. I have trailered bikes before but that was dirt bikes, whole different animal. But with that being said. I have to go to Florida with my wife and kids in June. Just me, her, a four year old, and a six year old. We are going to be there a little over a week. My wife is going there to help with her cousins wedding. I will have alot of time on my hands, plan on doing a little fishing what-not. But I also plan on doing some riding. I'm putting my bike on the trailer and hauling it along. We drive non-stop, taking turns driving on the 21+ hour trip. Not that anyones opinion is going to change what I do, but I would like to hear what some have to say about it. Cause a few said that there is NEVER a reason to trailer a bike. And normally I would agree, but I never really saw this situation coming up.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly why in one of my last comments on a "trailer" thread, I said that it is best to be careful about using words like "never" "always" and "forever", especially when it comes to trailering a bike and or relationships..

Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
TxMongrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an excellent plan! My wife and I are riding to Detroit in a few weeks to help our son with a military transfer and will be trailering our bike on the return trip. He needs extra lbs to claim on his DITY move, and we want to take in the sights on the way back. Nothing wrong with trailering IMO.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Humm, let's see, trailer and have a bike to ride or, leave the bike at home and wish I had it. That's a tough decision.

PS I'd have the bike with me one way or the other.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Just do what you want to do. Doesn't really matter what any of us knuckleheads have to say about it. It's your bike, your ride, your family, and you should know what works best for you and yours. Ride safe and enjoy the trip. Nuff said!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
Humm, let's see, trailer and have a bike to ride or, leave the bike at home and wish I had it. That's a tough decision.

PS I'd have the bike with me one way or the other.
Agreed... take the bike and forget what anyone else says.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Just do what you want to do. Doesn't really matter what any of us knuckleheads have to say about it. It's your bike, your ride, your family, and you should know what works best for you and yours. Ride safe and enjoy the trip. Nuff said!
Like I said, I know what I'm going to do. Wasn't asking advice. Just wanted to hear from the "no reason to trailer a bike" crowd.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought I was on board with another poster whose sig line read, " if you see my bike on a trailer, call the police." But as we all have seen, conditions dictate just what and how we achieve our goals and desires.
If you can pull it off, I say go with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just don't loose touch with the families goings on whilst your out gallivanting around in a cumulus cloud nearby! Lol

aka Bob

Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be buying a trailer in the case of break downs or what have you....but if it's snowing here and sunny and hot in Arizona or Texas then I'll use that thrailer to load the bike up and get the hell out of Dodge for awhile.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your plan falls into the "exempt" category. Proceed as planned.

Quick Reply: Non Rally Trailering