General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Bead balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
getty30188
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using them for over 4 years now and they work great. Your tire does not wear uniformily. The beads constantly "re-arrange" to the new wear patterns.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had them in the rear on my wide glide for 4000 miles so far so good. i just put them in the front and have only a few hundred miles on it. but i am trying an experiment today .
just mounted the summer tires on my wifes car. used conventional spin balance on the rears and just a 3 oz. bag of beads in each front tire. i'll monitor the wear and rotate at 6000 miles and report back . btw the car get 100 miles a day commuting.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
I'm running them but can't tell a difference. Waste of money or as one poster stated...Snake Oil.

If your tires where balanced perfect to start with , you would not see a difference , duh , but now , no ugly weights AND balance beads change constantly for life of tire , account for ware and tare on tire .
JIM

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Are there are any OEM motorcycle or automotive manufacturers using this sort of balancing mechanism?
If not why not?
OEM manufactureres specifiy tighter out of round, and out of balence requirements than replacement tires have to meet; and they are still balancing thier tires with external weights if I'm not mistaken. If throwing a handfull of dynamic weights in a tire would remove the need to balance a tire with external weights, I have to believe that it would be the far less expensive sic less labor intensive solution. OEM's are in fact just as cheap as you all suspect . . . if they thought for a second that they could get away with this method you can bet in a heart beat that they'd be there . . . Duh!
Even when racing we'd true the tire, with what essentially amounts to a lathe, and then use external weights. also secured with Duct Tape . . . a bit of insurance to keep the corner workers happy.
Weights are way cheaper than Dyna Beads. If you have the equipment to balance the tire, going with weights would save a ton of $$$ over a few thousand tires. For a guy like me, it's cheaper to use the beads than to take the wheel to someone to be balanced. Plus, like others have said, it's nice not to have the weights on your wheels.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 AM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 553 Likes on 307 Posts

Replaced both my tires beginning of the year and decided to try the beads. The bike was beginning to develop a slight vibration at speed before I replaced the tires, but after replacing them and using the beads, the vibration is gone. But as has been pointed out, getting them in through a valve stem is truly an exercise in patience.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:17 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I'm going to put in the Ride on stuff. Similar in concept, but also acts as a sealant if the tire is punctured.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Just replaced my tires & did the Dyna beads. Bike rides smoother than it ever did.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Tufel
Personally I'm going to put in the Ride on stuff. Similar in concept, but also acts as a sealant if the tire is punctured.

http://www.ride-on.com/
I had to order mine from Amazon, since there's not a dealer within a decent range from me.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Weights are way cheaper than Dyna Beads. If you have the equipment to balance the tire, going with weights would save a ton of $$$ over a few thousand tires. For a guy like me, it's cheaper to use the beads than to take the wheel to someone to be balanced. Plus, like others have said, it's nice not to have the weights on your wheels.

8oz counteract beads $10.50 enough 4 -4 tires , no labor - not removing from bike . works for me --- truing is another ballgame
JIM

Old 04-29-2015, 02:40 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced

Originally Posted by InTheWinda1
8oz counteract beads $10.50 enough 4 -4 tires , no labor - not removing from bike . works for me --- truing is another ballgame
JIM

PS a lot of things take awhile to make it to the masses ,, for instance , disk brakes they first appeared at drag strip them eventualy made there ways to standard cars , then made it to all wheel disk , a nother for instance , Europe gets good meds before we get them in the states .
I guess time will tel eh ehh
JIM

Quick Reply: Dyna Bead balancing?