General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Bead balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
tjae
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have DBs in my current tires. They are great. Pain in the **** to get them in there though.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Arrow

I was curious about DynaBeads after reading all the threads & info. I've had occasional problems losing those 'stick on' weights and thought they looked terrible. This winter I did a front wheel & tire swap. Spinning the wheel, the valve stem would always end up in the six oclock position (straight down). I rode the bike a few times b4 adding the DynaBeads, it does seem smoother now after the beads. It was cheaper then having my Indy balance the wheel assembly, no ugly stickon weights to fall off. I'm sold, and will be doing this to all my other bike wheels at tire change time.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Are there are any OEM motorcycle or automotive manufacturers using this sort of balancing mechanism?
If not why not?
I beleive it's due to cost. Traditionally, after inflation, teh tire is balance with a cheap weight, then sent down teh line. Wiht balancer beads, the tire would ahve to be deflated, tehn beads ( at a higher cost than lead weights) inserted, then tire reinflated, and sent down teh line. Higher labor costs for more time, adn higher cost for materials. Just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i just had a new rear tire installed using DBs. My bike feels the same as before (wheel weights). I would use them again.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any one use with tubes seems like they would wear thru tube

Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
any one use with tubes seems like they would wear thru tube
No problem on the Heritage for 4k miles but I run tubeless now. If the tube wasn't backed up on the inside of the tire I would wonder if the bead could wear through the tube but I doubt if it would happen. The mfg states they are good for tubes so I would think they have tested it thoroughly or they better have great insurance.

Last edited by golfblues; 04-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Thanks for all the posts. Today I bought tires and wheels at Costal MOTO. They obviously know what they're talking about and said to go with the beads, so I did. I'm sure they'll be good. By the way, I got RSD Chrome Diesels with Metzler ME 880's.Jeff at Costal MOTO treated me very well.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer

I just replaced my tires and did a bubble balance on them. Had to add about 4 oz to the rear and 3 oz of weights to the front. I didnt like the look of all the weights on my spokes and decided to go with the dyna beads. A buddy put them in his tubleless tires and said he had no issues. I had a bad vibration at 70 mph +. I could feel a harmonic vibration throughout the bike.
I went back to spoke weights and no more vibration.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I run Dyna Beads and they made a very noticeable difference in my bike.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I put them in my Softail with my last tire change and the previous three front tires always developed a cupping issue which made them wear prematurely and it always had at slight wobble at high speeds. Dyna Beads cured both of these problems so I think they are the finest thing since bubble gum myself and have them in all three bikes now. Not a weight one to be found in my garage. Pretty good performance for "snake oil" in my opinion. I have done the coke bottle on a drill for my self and it really worked.

Quick Reply: Dyna Bead balancing?