General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Bead balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to U tube & type "Dyna beads" in the search bar!
Hatch.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually didn't hear about dynabeads till last week. That said, I'm glad they're available,adn I will buy some next time I swap tires. The trucking industry has used Equal for years now, and teh beads work on teh same principal.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dfndr
What can you tell me about this? Better, worse or about the same as conventional? Would you do it on your new tires/wheels? Thanks.
Don't let some of these guys sway you. I put Dyna Beads in my fatboy tires a year ago and peeled off the wheel weights. They work great. Smooth as glass at any speed.

Also makes it much easier to polish your wheels without the wheel weights.

I just put a new set of tires on my bike a couple weeks ago, and I just scooped the beads out of my old tires and put them in the new ones. New tires ride smooth as glass also.

Maybe for those that say they don't work, had tires that were badly out of balance. If they just added some more beads, they'd probably be ok.

The kit that you get has 1 ounce of beads for the front wheel and 2 ounces for the back. If your tire needs more weight than that you just need to add some more beads.

They are totally safe for your tires, and they can be used in tubes as well.

They are definately NOT snake oil. They are not a gimmick. They utilize the laws of physics and work like a charm.

When using wheel weights, you can balance your tires for a certain speed, and they can be out of balance at another speed.
With the beads, they are a variable balancer by adjusting themselves as needed at any speed.

btw, I don't sell Dyna Beads nor am I affiliated with them in any way.
I just tried them and found that they work as advertised. I'll never go back to wheel weights.

Here is a youtube video showing the principles of centramatic balancers. Its not using Dyna Beads, but it works the same way, to give you an idea of how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI

-

Last edited by Stubby3492; 04-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
I'm running them but can't tell a difference. Waste of money or as one poster stated...Snake Oil.
Uh, isn't that the point? Not tell the difference between weights and Dyna beads?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
I'm running them but can't tell a difference. Waste of money or as one poster stated...Snake Oil.
You can't tell the difference between them and what? A wheel balanced with weights? I would think they are working perfectly in that case.
Since I change my own tires and ride 8-10k miles per year I am sold on them.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Those snake oil beads may not be working but everything I have put them in has been smooth as glass. Maybe the last 8 or 10 tires I have put them in were perfectly balanced from the tire manufacturer and the beads didn't hurt anything.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Are there are any OEM motorcycle or automotive manufacturers using this sort of balancing mechanism?
If not why not?
OEM manufactureres specifiy tighter out of round, and out of balence requirements than replacement tires have to meet; and they are still balancing thier tires with external weights if I'm not mistaken. If throwing a handfull of dynamic weights in a tire would remove the need to balance a tire with external weights, I have to believe that it would be the far less expensive sic less labor intensive solution. OEM's are in fact just as cheap as you all suspect . . . if they thought for a second that they could get away with this method you can bet in a heart beat that they'd be there . . . Duh!
Even when racing we'd true the tire, with what essentially amounts to a lathe, and then use external weights. also secured with Duct Tape . . . a bit of insurance to keep the corner workers happy.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

With all due respect to the naysayers, I just had two new Avon Venoms mounted by the guys at Hogpro, who know a thing or two about wheels, and they used dyna beads. Better than having ugly weights on my 80-spoke wheels, and the ride is (as someone said) smooth as glass.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Are there are any OEM motorcycle or automotive manufacturers using this sort of balancing mechanism?
If not why not?
OEM manufactureres specifiy tighter out of round, and out of balence requirements than replacement tires have to meet; and they are still balancing thier tires with external weights if I'm not mistaken. If throwing a handfull of dynamic weights in a tire would remove the need to balance a tire with external weights, I have to believe that it would be the far less expensive sic less labor intensive solution. OEM's are in fact just as cheap as you all suspect . . . if they thought for a second that they could get away with this method you can bet in a heart beat that they'd be there . . . Duh!
Even when racing we'd true the tire, with what essentially amounts to a lathe, and then use external weights. also secured with Duct Tape . . . a bit of insurance to keep the corner workers happy.
I would imagine the reason they don't has more to do with patents and politics. Never easy and usually not a good business decision to make what some might consider a snake oil decision...

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Maybe the MOCO doesn't want your tires to be fully balanced to help disguise the shaking from your twinky crankshafts being bent. ha ha

ok ok, it was a joke. Hold the flames.

Quick Reply: Dyna Bead balancing?