General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM
jbg56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
Driving without a licence and getting caught by the police, and ultimately fined, is the least of your problems. If you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, YOU would be held responsible regardless if you were at fault or not. Insurance would not cover you. NOw .. Do the math.

and multiply expotentially if someone were to get injured in that accident.
Here in NYS if you have an accident without a license your insurance will cover nothing. The same if you are drinking or aren't wearing a helmet. A couple weeks ago, when the guy wrecked in front of my house and died on his new Sporty he left 2 kids and a pregnant wife. Word is, because no helmet was found, his life insurance company is trying to get out of paying.

It may be a lot of fun being really cool and flaunting laws, but the price could be far more than you think. I know guys who have lost their driver's licenses, had to pay mega bucks in fines, towing charges and impound fees, and if you have an accident with no license your insurance contract is the value of toilet paper.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The subject of this post was rhetorical right?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truthfully I think having my motorcycle license has gotten me out of a few well deserved tickets. I check my attitude and produce all requested paperwork and roll off with a warning more often than a citation.

I think the little "M1" on my license has helped.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:13 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Yes, I rode without a motorcycle endorsement on my license for many years. I have had one off and on since I was 14 years old. Remember something about cc restrictions but that was a long time ago. I have one now because I could see the changes coming by the nanny state. The whiners who think that a license makes the rider are stupid. I see lots of stupid people riding all types of motorcycles with the skill sets of a dope smoking, head injury study lab monkeys that most likely have a license. A license is nothing but a tax and tracking device. I could understand using it to meet minimal standards to ride but once that is passed then it just becomes revenue.
+1.................Amen!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rscalzo
There was a small operation working out of Bergen County that took potential riders to their test on a small scooter because they couldn't even come close to passing on their own larger bike.

It was a riot to see them ride off on the 50cc scooter, pass , then come back and get on a full sized tourer or 1100 racer. Organ donors.

I heard NJ might move to a tiered style MC endorsement.

Not necessarily, My dad used to ride an 89 tour glide. Now my dad's about 5'6-5'7''. When he finally went to take his test he couldn't do a figure 8 on that big bike.

The guy passed him anyway, said he would have got it on anything smaller than that big cruiser.

I personally took the MSF doing a figure 8 on 250 is by far easier than doing it on 550+lb harley. Plus I didn't know how to ride back than. I went from never operation a motorcycle/dirt bike or manual transmission to being able to ride in a day's time. The instructor said I improved the most after the second day.

Well I damn well better have I only stalled that freaking 250 50 times the first day.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my MC endorsement test when I got my drivers license back in 1972 in Minnesota. It consisted of about 25 yes or no questions. No drivers test or anything else. In the 6 states I have been licensed in since then, its just been a couple dollars more to add it. But no, I never rode without a legal endorsement.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you serious? Nobody has ever ridden without a motorcycle endorsement. That would be against the law! Who's going to admit they're a law breakin' criminal, just waitin' to be arrested? Not me!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

No,,, but I had my endorsement several yrs without a bike though.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day when I started riding, Idaho didn't require an endorsement. Moved across the border to mama Washington and had to do all kinds of things to get legally licensed.

Today in the state of WA, getting your endorsement is actually a bit of a joke. You can take your rider's test on a friggin' moped (49cc), pass the test and then legally ride any size bike you want. That doesn't make much sense to me. WA used to require that whatever bike you took the rider's test with, that was the classification of bike you could legally ride (i.e., take the test on an 1100, that qualified you for bikes 650cc or higher).

Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to clarify about being held responsible regardless, this is untrue. Not having a license does not hold you automatically at fault in an accident, just like not having insurance does not make you instantly responsible. That being said, your insurance does 100% have the right not to cover you, and will likely exercise this right. I knew a guy who was being a moron and totaled his 2003 Mach 1, had a suspended license. The insurance denied his claim.

Here in Tennessee, a lack of endorsement can mean impound and some hefty fines. Don't know if you can be arrested like you could if you were caught with no license at all, but I can easily see this being a possibility. A friend of mine recently got snagged with no class M, and got a ticket for around $600. That is about 50% more expensive than taking the RSC, which you get your license at the end of, so riding without one is not anymore cost affective. If you pass on the course and just get your endorsement, the cost is dirt cheap. Either way, get the endorsement.

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?