General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Roni
When I started riding again, I didn't have an endorsement. Since I had been riding for years, I figured I would forego the MSF course, since the next one through the local community college was still months away. I rode for a couple of months during winter without one, then got my learners, waited six weeks and then took the road test.

The funny thing is, back in the '80's, when I had my first endorsement, the road test was just to get on the bike and drive around the building. I was expecting pretty much the same thing this second time around. No way. If it weren't for the fact that I was riding a small bike (400cc), I never would have passed. Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone on a 1000cc or larger bike could pass either.
That's how I remember the test in the mid 70s. Since that one expired, I had to take the test on this big twin. Loads of fun that was.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Amish gone bad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by banddirector
It's interesting to read about the differences in rider tests. In WA you don't even leave the parking lot; you just do some maneuvers around some cones.
In PA, if you take the MSF Basic Riders Course and pass, the instructor can validate your permit and you are legally licensed from that point on. I had a small stoke ages back and didn't ride like for better than ten years so I decided to take the course when the bug bit me again. Out of like 30 students I was the only one with a license. Worse yet the one instructor knew me from the old days. When it got to the test part he would emphasize at each stage "Remember, you can fail this particular skill and still pass ----------- except for Amish. Him we'll mock heavily." "Remember, you can fail this next skill and still pass ----------- except for Amish. I'll report him to his HOG chapter if he doesn't make it." Every part of the test he had a different punishment "planned" for me. It worked ---- it got me relaxed. Didn't have a perfect score but 2 gigs is plenty respectful.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Amish gone bad
In PA, if you take the MSF Basic Riders Course and pass, the instructor can validate your permit and you are legally licensed from that point on. I had a small stoke ages back and didn't ride like for better than ten years so I decided to take the course when the bug bit me again. Out of like 30 students I was the only one with a license. Worse yet the one instructor knew me from the old days. When it got to the test part he would emphasize at each stage "Remember, you can fail this particular skill and still pass ----------- except for Amish. Him we'll mock heavily." "Remember, you can fail this next skill and still pass ----------- except for Amish. I'll report him to his HOG chapter if he doesn't make it." Every part of the test he had a different punishment "planned" for me. It worked ---- it got me relaxed. Didn't have a perfect score but 2 gigs is plenty respectful.
That's a great story!

I forgot to add that you can take the MSF test here too, and upon successful completion you get a certificate that you take to the DOL and it will entitle you to receive your endorsement with no additional testing. The MSF class provides you with 125cc bikes to practice on, so doing the maneuvers isn't that tough. Far easier than trying to take the DOL test on a full dresser, where if you have to put your foot down for balance (even once!) you fail ....