General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a license, just no endorsement. Used to have one but somewhere in between moving states (12) in the last 20 hrs it got dropped. Since getting back on a bike in 2006 I haven't had one. One of these days I need to get one! Maybe

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
BoxOfCohibas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have been riding without one. Not sure what they would do if I got pulled over. Taking the class this weekend to get it tho.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Cabocarl
Tourer

"what we are dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law." Bufford T. Justice

Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
petewerner
Road Captain

"what we are dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law." Bufford T. Justice

yeah, so?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
In Washington State, it's an automatic impound. Well-earned, IMHO.
It's actually NOT an automatic impound. It's at the LEO's descretion. What is automatic is the unlicensed rider will not ride off on his bike. My brother in law was that rider & I had to return & ride his bike away for him.
Respect goes a long way when dealing with the WSP.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klaybus
It's actually NOT an automatic impound. It's at the LEO's descretion. What is automatic is the unlicensed rider will not ride off on his bike. My brother in law was that rider & I had to return & ride his bike away for him.
Respect goes a long way when dealing with the WSP.
Interesting...I understood one of our local LEO Hog members to say that it was mandatory. Regardless, it doesn't end well. Glad it worked out for your bro-in-law.

Still, why risk it?

Nice Limited, btw...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a simple scenario. My farm is worth about $3.2 million. If I cause injury to somebody and I don't have an endorsement, which means I don't have insurance, they get my farm. Riding without an endoresment is not a macho thing. Mike

Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
kzoo
Road Master

Passed the written not the skills test yet. I live in Michigan, and sometimes it can take a while to get the skills scheduled. With the written passed, we are allowed to ride with another licensed and endorsed biker to gain experience and confidence. Do I always follow that rule, no, sometimes I ride alone to the parking lot to practice.

From the Michigan Sec. of State website:
Operating a motorcycle without an endorsement can cost you--it is a violation resulting in court fines and up to a $300 Driver Responsibility fee.

I will pass the skills test when I feel confident enough in my slow speed riding. Until then, I ride with my buddy whenever possible.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand-Dragon
I was wondering if you or anyone you know of ride without a motorcycle license or endorsement?
I should admit I rode a "Few" years without it and never had an unfortunate situation where it was necessary to show one.

The truth shall set you free.
No. As a teenager I got my permit and then my motorcycle endorsement.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Yes, I rode without a motorcycle endorsement on my license for many years. I have had one off and on since I was 14 years old. Remember something about cc restrictions but that was a long time ago. I have one now because I could see the changes coming by the nanny state. The whiners who think that a license makes the rider are stupid. I see lots of stupid people riding all types of motorcycles with the skill sets of a dope smoking, head injury study lab monkeys that most likely have a license. A license is nothing but a tax and tracking device. I could understand using it to meet minimal standards to ride but once that is passed then it just becomes revenue.
What happens in the case of a serious accident, will your insurance
company use it for a cop out? Food for thought.
Name:  coollogo_com-1632213.png
Views: 7325
Size:  1.6 KB

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?