General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRK
I rode for years as a kid on a crotch rocket with only a permit. Never had a problem but never pulled over either....dumb luck I guess. Been legit for the past 20 years or so now.
Same here. I rode with a permit from 15-22 in my crotch rocket years.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread so this may have been said before.

From Web Bike World study: Almost one third of the fatally injured operators did not have a proper license.

I don't think 1/3 of the bike riders on the road are riding without an endorsement. To me, this says that many of those that ride without one and think they know what they are doing DON'T.
That figure comes from the Hurt report, a landmark study in motorcycle accident causes, done in 1981. WebBikeWorld.com just republished the summery. It is possible this figure has changed somewhat since then as instant access computerized driver abstracts make it a lot harder to get away with. Most places will now impound your bike without an endorsement and your insurance is null and void in an at fault accident without a valid endorsement. You cannot even buy motorcycle insurance without one as they will check your abstract.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Raider Dana
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my endorsement via the MSF class. Alot of guys that I know in my area just re-up their permit every year until they close the loophole.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
justjoshin84
Cruiser

I admit, I rode with my permit from the time I got my first harley at 17 until about 2 summers ago when i was 26.. Durring that time, I had 1 super lucky break getting pulled over, and the cop flat out told me he should impound the bike, but he made me park and "promise" Id get someone to pick me up and then he drove away (after writing me an expired permit ticket).

After that, I just took the road test and passed on the first try. I was a dumbass for not just taking the course or doing it years ago.

When I first started riding, I used to hang around with a club and I think I can count on 1 hand how many of them, most of them who had been riding their whole lives, had endorsed liscences.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Classicfc
Tourer

Probably depends where you live but where I live unless you can call in a replacement rider they'll impound your ride. Like many, I didn't always comply with the permit restrictions before I got completely legal.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I got my endorsement the day the law went into effect in WA state where I lived at the time. I did however ride my Motorcycles for about 3 years on public roads without a drivers license until I was sixteen and able to get one. Never drove a cage during that time though.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

When I started riding again, I didn't have an endorsement. Since I had been riding for years, I figured I would forego the MSF course, since the next one through the local community college was still months away. I rode for a couple of months during winter without one, then got my learners, waited six weeks and then took the road test.

The funny thing is, back in the '80's, when I had my first endorsement, the road test was just to get on the bike and drive around the building. I was expecting pretty much the same thing this second time around. No way. If it weren't for the fact that I was riding a small bike (400cc), I never would have passed. Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone on a 1000cc or larger bike could pass either.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM
402capt
Cruiser

It's so easy to get one it's just dumb not to. It is only worth gambling if you might win something.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Amish gone bad
Tourer

My dad never did get his license even though he could have grandfathered himself into one after WW II (he rode in the Army). He was stopped a couple times but never ticketed.

I took my drivers test on an FLH 3 days after my 16th birthday. After I passed and the examiner did the math he threatened to burn my permit and me at the stake right then and there if I tried to claim I never rode on the street underaged. I hung my head and admitted to some over the previous two years but threw myself on his mercy and the rural mountains where we lived. He stamped me and made me legal.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Kingers103
Cruiser

I rode for about a decade on the permit and no other endorsement. I should have taken the rider test right away but out in the country it can get to be a pain in the a$$. Proud to say I'm now fully endorsed. (And insured)

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?