General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
NJRK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode for years as a kid on a crotch rocket with only a permit. Never had a problem but never pulled over either....dumb luck I guess. Been legit for the past 20 years or so now.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
reddzx
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
In Washington State, it's an automatic impound. Well-earned, IMHO.

Yes. I rode without an endorsement for years back in the 70's and 80's, but now its not worth the risk and cost of impound and possible damage from stupid tow truck operators here in Washington.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread so this may have been said before.

From Web Bike World study: Almost one third of the fatally injured operators did not have a proper license.

I don't think 1/3 of the bike riders on the road are riding without an endorsement. To me, this says that many of those that ride without one and think they know what they are doing DON'T.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Back in the 70's WA state was going to change to the 3 tier system (< 500 cc, < 1000 cc, > 1000 cc) and I wanted to get an endorsment before they did, so I took the riding part of the test on a Honda Trail 90! No shifting, no clutch, and it made passing the test a breeze. Then a couple of years ago WA went back to a one-size-fits-all endorsement. Can you imagine someone taking the test on a 50 cc scooter, then go out and buy an Ultra?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread so this may have been said before.

From Web Bike World study: Almost one third of the fatally injured operators did not have a proper license.

I don't think 1/3 of the bike riders on the road are riding without an endorsement. To me, this says that many of those that ride without one and think they know what they are doing DON'T.
It is hard to tell but based on licenses, or endorsements, and titles it is estimated the 25 -35% of riders do not have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

In Iowa you can take a one day skilled rider course on your own bike get a waiver of the skills test for an endorsement and the state will reimburse the cost of the class. We have had a lot of long term riders come in for the class with a "you can't teach me anything" attitude and leave saying, "I didn't know how much I didn't know." You can also just go the the DMV and take a riding test but a little refresher never hurt anyone and challenging yourself on a closed range for a day is a lot of fun.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by banddirector
Back in the 70's WA state was going to change to the 3 tier system (< 500 cc, < 1000 cc, > 1000 cc) and I wanted to get an endorsment before they did, so I took the riding part of the test on a Honda Trail 90! No shifting, no clutch, and it made passing the test a breeze. Then a couple of years ago WA went back to a one-size-fits-all endorsement. Can you imagine someone taking the test on a 50 cc scooter, then go out and buy an Ultra?
I am a big believer in the tier system but due to American culture it will never go. The "I should be able to do what ever I want" folks never seem to consider that roads are shared with everyone and when they are unsafe and stupid it usually results in other people getting hurt or killed and they walk away.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Here in NJ it costs an extra $5.00 for the endorsement. An idiot could pass the written & riding test. What could the possible reason be, besides laziness, for not getting it? If you don't know how or have never ridden before you can take a MSF course which all but guarantees EVERYONE a license without the riding exam.

Only about 80% of people who take the MSF course pass or complete the class. There is no guarantee. In order to get the license or waiver they have to take a written and skill test at the end of the class. The MSF skill test is more difficult than the Rider Skill Test at the DMV. It requires shifting gears and riding through curves, the DMV test does not.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR08
Only about 80% of people who take the MSF course pass or complete the class. There is no guarantee. In order to get the license or waiver they have to take a written and skill test at the end of the class. The MSF skill test is more difficult than the Rider Skill Test at the DMV. It requires shifting gears and riding through curves, the DMV test does not.
Yep! And that's why the DMV waives the riding test for those who passed the MSF course.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM
bauer4567
Tourer

I rode without an M license up until this past year. First bike I rode without a drivers license at all. Then, when I was old enough and got my drivers license, I never took the M test. Still used the bike to get to work on a regular basis. Then more recently, when I turned 21, I got my CDL license. I was lucky enough to never be pulled over, except when I had my CDL license. The cop asked me why I did not have a M license, I just explained that if you have a CDL, that classification goes in the same spot as the M endorsement should go, so thats why it didnt show up... I am still not sure whether he knew I was lying or not, but he let me go without even a warning for what he had stopped me for originally (no turn signals on a '74 KZ400). Now I am all legal... Just easier that way!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

I rode 25 years with No Motorcycle license. I finally got one when I purchased my 1st NEW Bike. Figured it was about time ...lol

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?